SOLVED

Can Others Connect to my VM

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone:

Is there a way to configure one of my VMs so a friend of mine could use RDP and connect to it?  Just curious to know this.  I was thinking I would create the VM using my account.  Send my friend the RDP file for that VM.  Maybe I need to give my friend permissions so they could login.

Thanks for your time.

Charles

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Charles Bradley (Copper Contributor)
Solution

No problem.  Set up a .rdp file using mstsc, save locally, and send. Or connect via the portal and save the .rdp file.  Edit the file for your friend's credentials, assuming you have created a local account for him/her.  Domain account if your VM belongs to a domain.  On the VM,  authorize your friend's account for remote access.  

Hi,

As Ray mentioned, you can do this.

However, try if you can secure it using Network Security Group.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/virtual-networks-create-nsg-arm-pportal

Check if your friend has a static IP, then allow access only from his IP address and block all other ports.

I have seen issues if internet access is all open on the VM, it can get compromised.

Thanks,

Thanks so much Ray.  I can't wait to test this with my friend.

Thanks much Vineet!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Charles Bradley (Copper Contributor)
Solution

No problem.  Set up a .rdp file using mstsc, save locally, and send. Or connect via the portal and save the .rdp file.  Edit the file for your friend's credentials, assuming you have created a local account for him/her.  Domain account if your VM belongs to a domain.  On the VM,  authorize your friend's account for remote access.  

View solution in original post