Can anyone point me to a list of Docker images that are supported by Azure services?

Copper Contributor

Specifically what images are supported on Azure Container Instances and Azure Web App with Docker deployment? I've been trying to deploy a simple ASP.NET Core 2.1 Web API and have met with utter failure. I've tried deploying public images from Docker Hub that are simple ASP.NET Core 2.1 application with the following images as base:

• microsoft/dotnet:2.1-aspnetcore-runtime-nanoserver-1709 - Deployment fails with OS not supported message.
  • microsoft/dotnet:2.1-aspnetcore-runtime-nanoserver-sac2016 - Deployment succeeds but the container fails to start
  • microsoft/dotnet:2.1-aspnetcore-runtime (Linux) - Deployment fails with ResourceDeploymentFailure

I've also tried deploying the image based on microsoft/dotnet:2.1-aspnetcore-runtime to an Azure Web App with Docker. I turned logging on for the container and only receive "ERROR - Container {my_site}_0 for site {my_site} has exited, failing site start".

I'm able to start (and debug with VS) containers for three of these images locally. 

My thought is that perhaps .NET Core 2.1 is too new and Azure simply doesn't support those images. Super frustrating evening failing to deploy three separate container images on two different container hosting services on Azure.

1 Reply

I have same issue with aspnet 2.0 package, get ResourceDeploymentFailure and see "Back-off restarting failed container" in details but no other information. My package also runs on Docker for Windows (Linux containers) locally from VS. Pushed to Azure Container Registry without problem but cannot deploy to container instance.