Azure WVD I am unable to convert userprofile using frx.exe

Brass Contributor

Dear all,

I am doing a migration of an on-premises user's profile to VHD using FRX.exe command line but constantly getting an error

"Exit code 9: The system cannot write to the specified device" 

I checked the code explanation is "There was an error creating the VHD/X file." but nothing else is mentioned! 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/fslogix-error-codes-reference

The user has administrative writes to the disk. so I am lost what is wrong in here? 

frx.jpg

7 Replies

1. Find the location and name of the user you want to move

This example uses a current user named: Bob

2. Open an Administrator command prompt

Navigate into the FSLogix Apps directory

cd C:\Program Files\FSLogix\Apps

Pull up the copy-profile command

frx copy-profile

3. Build your command string

Choose the parameters that apply to your situation, in this example we are going to:

Give the output path for our vhd(x) -filename C:\Profile.vhd(x)
Enter in which user to copy -username Domain\Username
Specify the size of the disk with -size-mbs 10000
Make the disk grow as needed -dynamic 1

4. Perform the conversion

frx copy-profile -filename C:\Users\Bob.vhdx -username Bob -dynamic 1 -size-mbs 10000

After the process in finished, a clone of your user Bob account should be in a container under C:\Users\Bob.vhdx

Troubleshooting

It is possible that you may run into some errors when using and creating Profile Containers.

(0x00000001D): the system cannot write to the specified device.

This problem arises when you are attempting to migrate an existing user account to a profile container (vhd).

Fix:

Delete the following directory and all its contents. Re-running your command should result in a success.

%Temp%\FrxMount

(0x00000005): Access denied

This problem arises when you are attempting to migrate an existing user account without administrator permissions

Fix:

You have to run the command using an administrator command prompt.

If you still have issue you can visit the below link for more help.

Link: https://www.apps4rent.com/windows-virtual-desktop-azure

Hi Lewis, I already have used this command multiple times but still keep on getting the same error. In the path you mentioned I couldn't find any trace of a FrxMount file or folder. 

the User I am using is a local admin so not a permission issue. @Lewis-H 

did you have any luck fixing this?

Not really. nothing worked with FSLogix @SQLTemp 

@Mohammed Hamada 

I'm having same issues with Win10 build 1903 and 1909

I've done a lot of research on this. Still having same issues. two out of 8 profiles have migrated. Most have not.

Is there a way to check robocopy logging?

Found the issue by turning on robocopy logging via registry entry

Registry Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\FSLogix\Logging

RobocopyLogPathREG_SZSpecifies a log file name and path where the output of robocopy calls (for example, during mirroring of data in or out of a VHD) will be logged. If the value is non-existent, then the robocopy results are not logged at all. This setting is recommended to be used only for troubleshooting.

I set a reg key above to a basic path string of C:\temp\fslogixrobocopy.txt

This really helped isolate the issue

Ended up that robocopy was erroring out on a file in: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

I deleted the offending file in the localcache of that app and was successful in the copy-profile after that.

@crickertcit MASSIVE upvote on this logging suggestion

In my instance it was the windows Search on Server 2019 RD

The well documented shenanigans that is Windows 2019 search, vs Outlook search, vs Exchange....

User had a search database in %appdata%\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\<User SID> folder

The issue was Windows Search was holding onto the files with a vice like grip.

Restarted Windows Search Service on RD server, deleted the contents of the folder and the profile migrated successfully!