Azure storage accounts

Copper Contributor

Hi Guys, 

I just wanted to confirm if you can create multiple drivers from one managed disk account on Azure?

This is related to Hosting and ASR. Do I need to pay for multiple account or can I just have one? Or is there a better way to do it. 

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks. 

6 Replies

Hi @DigitalNomad920,

Yes, it should be fine to have just one Storage Account in Place to fulfill all of the demands as far as i understood them from your Post.

But keep in mind that Permissions might vary from one case to the other.

As you only pay per used amount of Storage and for Outgoing Traffic when the amount is above 5GB/month, you may also be free to use more then only one Storage Account for multiple Tasks. Or is there any other reason why to use only one Azure Storage Account?

Kind Regards, Peter

@Peter_Beckendorf 

Thank you for your response!

What I'm looking to accomplish is purchasing one managed disk and creating multiple drives from it. For example I will purchase 1TB managed disk and split it down to D: 250GB E:250GB F: 250GB etc. 

Hi @DigitalNomad920,

You will have one managed Disk only assigned to one virtual machine with one driveletter.

So you can not build one managed Disk and attach it to a VM with several partitions and driveletters on it.

For this scenario you will need a managed disk for each partition you want.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards, Peter

@Peter_Beckendorf 

Hi Peter, 

Very helpful thanks. Is there any type of other storage I can use to accomplish this?

@Peter_Beckendorf 

Hi Peter,

Since we are on the discussion of storage, I'm currently pricing the DR environment with only one 4TB managed disk for storage. Is this correct?

Hi @DigitalNomad920,

Yes, max size for managed disks is currently limited to 4TB.

Maybe a Storage Account is a Solution for you instead of a managed disk.

But this means limitations in IOPS and due to this maybe also performance, it depends as always on what you want to do with this Discs.

When you want to be save to use the right performance for each partition, use managed disks.

Kind Regards, Peter