Azure Site Recovery breaking SQL Server log chain

Copper Contributor

I'm protecting a SQL Server with ASR and doing backups with Commvault. Commvault is telling me that transaction log backups are being converted to fulls because it detected a break in the log chain probably caused by another backup product. I dug into it and found that ASR's VSS writer is taking a snapshot once an hour and SQL Server is seeing this as a full backup.

Has anyone had experience with this? I feel like the ASR VSS snapshot shouldn't be counted as a full backup of the database

1 Reply

@Alan Malette... I know this is really old and you'd have found this by now, for anyone else that stumbles across this. Its not breaking the log backups, its breaking the differential backup chain instead.

ASR is taking a full backup of the database as is CommVault through the SQL VSS writer (called by the other VSS writers). The normally workaround for full backups to flip to copy only would be a registry change, if CommVault however uses the same VSS Writer, then you may have been stuck between a rock and a hard place.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-azure-vms-troubleshoot#troubleshoot-vm-snapshot...