Azure Powershell DSC vs Ansible

Brass Contributor

Hey Guys,

I just want to find out what are you using for Desired State Configuration on Azure. Do you use built in Powershell DSC or you are using Ansible with DSC enabled for Windows Machines?

I am in the process of deciding which solution should the best for us. Also I would like to automate on-prem infrastructure. Which solution do you use?

Regards,

Wojciech

7 Replies

@mrktos 

well, powershell DSC has been improved alot with lot of modules over the years which makes it easier to configure windows servers. so if you go with powershell DSC , with little or no effort you can use them on Azure as well. 

Also the number of modules that are available for Ansible on windows is less compared to that of powershell DSC . 

@sramadugu

This is true, DSC has a larger library of modules however you can call DSC on Ansible is well. I don't mind to craft some new scripts myself - the fundamental question is which solution will be better to adopt not only for Azure but also for on-prem? Should I consider using two? One for Azure such as DSC and Ansible on-prem or just go with one or the other?

@mrktos 

I would go with any one. in scenarios where i have to transition my stuff its easy to find someone with any one skill than someone who can understand both. 

@mrktos- use azure state configuration, welcome!

azure state configuration are excellent both on the cloud or on-prem
This is true - it is a great technology however in the Docs they are recommending Ansible.
Even with Ansible you can leverage using Powershell DSC modules.

Question is which solution is best