Azure Backup port requirements

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have been quite successful in migrating several clients and theor various server/workstation config to backup daily to Azure Backup Services. With one exception.

This client has posed challenges for me in the past. Back in the days when he was running SBS2003. The scenario is that he rents office space within another organization. Included in this arrangement is Internet access. I do not hold sway, nor provide support to the other entity.

To keep the two networks separated I have placed a router on the hosts LAN and have my clients operate on a completely different subnet. Thus far, for the most part, this has worked.

My challenge is getting Azure Backup to function. Bear in mind I do not have access to the Intenet facing router. I have managed to setup an account on Azure, and have managed to installed the backup client, select exclusions etc. But that's where my progress ends.

The portal acknowledges a client has been installed, but no data has ever been uploaded to the servers.

Other online backup services, such as Attix5, KeepItSafe etc. all function correctly, just Azure doesn't.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Paul

6 Replies

Kindly ensure your customer is running on windows server 2008 R2 SP1. As that is the minimum version for Windows Azure Backup to run

Thank you for the response, but it doesn't answer my question about what port requirements exist.

I note that I have omitted a key point in this scenario. I allude to SBS2003, this is what WAS in use previously.

The site today consists of a peer2peer consisting of 3 x Windows 10 machines, with one serving time as their 'server'. This machine provides a document repository and hosts SQL Express for a specific app they use. All other serviices are cloud based. As the business has downsized to the point where it consists of 1 full time user and 1 part-time user, they felt the cost of an 'on premise server' could not be justified.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Microsoft Azure Backup makes use of port 443 (Https). However are you looking to migrate the server on-premises to the clud so they can run low cost ? Refer to this document for Azure Backup https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-introduction-to-azure-backup

443 is what I figured may be the case. Any alternative to 443? Meaning can this be changed with the Azure host and backup client?

Review my above scenario. My client rents space from another entity. Part of this arrangement is that my client has internet access and other unrelated amenities. The host entity have complete control over the internet facing router and presently have port 443 enabled for THEIR users to have access to OWA on THEIR SBS2011 system. The best I can do is request their IT support team open a different port number for me to use.

Failing which I'll need to use another solution.

Hello Paul,

Please make sure your VM you whitelist the Azure Data Center IP addressIn case you are using Managed Disks, you may need an additional port (8443) opening up on the firewalls.For more information please follow the steps mentoned in troubleshooting Azure Backup failures knowledge base.

If you still have the issue, request you to please provide us the error message that you are seeing from Azure portal. This will help us to assis you in better way.

Regards,

Kamalakar K