Azure AD Connect on a DC -Help!

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I'm going through the AD Connect setup on my DC. I've decided I want to go down the ADFS route and am now at thepoint of selecting an a server to be my ADFS server. My issue is it only seems to allow me to select an on-prem server to be this role. I was expecting to be able to setup ADFS in Azure??

How do I achieve this ? 

5 Replies

Hello Mark,

The ADFS is a Windows Server role that is installed remotely when server is added to the screenshot you provided.

The setup will give you option to install role on any server accessible on your current network. If you do not have a site to site setup will will not be able to see your azure servers in the list of available server.

Hope that helped.

Hi, many thanks for your reply.

So to clarify, I need the site to site setup first, that makes sense. Do I therefore need to use the AD Connect at all?

I currently use Office 365 too and and want this integrated.

That's a questions  is for you. You can design your environment however you see fit depending on your needs.

The site to site connection mentioned is so that you can see an Azure VM as part of the same environment.

Keep in mind that AD Connect and ADFS do different functions one does not substitute for the other.

Thanks Hannel,

So are there any differences between using ADFS in Azure as apposed to on-prem, Pro's con's ?

Not really, ADFS on Azure is the same as ADFS on-prem.

You are basically doing the same setup you will on-prem in Azure, same pros and cons.