assign an logic apps system assigned managed identity to a role with terraform and arm template

Copper Contributor
Hi there,
i am trying to assign an logic apps system assigned managed identity to a role for starting/stopping a virtual machine. i use terraform to deploy the logic app template like this:

resource "azurerm_template_deployment" "myterraformscheduledvmdown" {
   name                = "scheduledvmdown"
   resource_group_name = "j14t23resources"
   template_body = <<DEPLOY
 {
  "$schema": "https://schema.management.azure.com/schemas/2019-04-01/deploymentTemplate.json#",
  "contentVersion": "1.0.0.0",
  "parameters": {
  },
  "variables": {
  },
  "resources": [
   {
    "type": "Microsoft.Logic/workflows",
    "apiVersion": "2019-05-01",
    "name": "scheduledvmdown",
    "location": "westus2",
    "identity": {
     "type": "SystemAssigned"
    },
    "properties": ....
    }
   }
  ],
  "outputs": {
   "appid": {
    "type": "string",
    "value": "[reference(resourceId('Microsoft.Logic/workflows/', 'scheduledvmdown'), '2019-05-01', 'Full').Identity.tenantId]"
   }
  }
 }

DEPLOY
   parameters = {
   }
   deployment_mode = "Incremental"
 }
 output "appid" {
   value = "${lookup(azurerm_template_deployment.myterraformscheduledvmdown.outputs, "appid")}"
 }
 resource "azurerm_role_assignment" "scheduletovmdown" {
   scope                = azurerm_linux_virtual_machine.myterraformvm.id
   role_definition_name = "Virtual Machine Contributor"
   principal_id         = azurerm_template_deployment.myterraformscheduledvmdown.outputs["appid"]
 }

i get the following error message while trying to deploy:

Error: authorization.RoleAssignmentsClient#Create: Failure responding to request: StatusCode=400 -- Original Error: autorest/azure: Service returned an error. Status=400 Code="PrincipalNotFound" Message="Principal xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx does not exist in the directory xxxxx-x-x-x-xxxx."

my assumption is, that i do not get the right id with the templates Output:

"[reference(resourceId('Microsoft.Logic/workflows/', 'scheduledvmdown'), '2019-05-01', 'Full').Identity.tenantId]" 

do you have any idea what i did wrong? or a nicer approach to assign the apps generated identity to a vm? 

thanks
tbz
1 Reply
with a Little help from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61429421/how-to-assign-an-azure-logic-apps-system-assigned-manag...

it should be principalId, not tenantId:
"[reference(resourceId('Microsoft.Logic/workflows/', 'scheduledvmdown'), '2019-05-01', 'Full').Identity.principalId]"