ASR Unified Setup on Physical Server

Copper Contributor

I'm in the process of setting of ASR for my organization.  We're a VMWare shop that also has a few physical servers.  Our main backup server is a physical box and that's where I'd like to install the ASR configuration server.  However, the setup requires VMWare Tools to be installed, which I can't do since it's a physical server.  Can Unified Setup only be run on a VM or is there a way around having VMWare Tools installed?

4 Replies

Hello Jeff! Yes, the ASR can be installed on the VM on your VMWare Environment.

You just have to make this, on VM with permissions to see another VM's who be protected.

Big Hug!

Hi Jeff 

First I  recommend you not to install configuration server on backup server its better to use a separate VM for this.

For the configuration server you must install the PowerCLI and VMWare tools. For configuration server prerequisite  refer this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/site-recovery/site-recovery-vmware-to-azure-manage-configurat...

Following is the guide you can use to configure ASR 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/site-recovery/site-recovery-vmware-to-azure-install-mob-svc  

Good! Thats it.

Just pay attention on the configuration of the CS and PS (Configuration Server and Process Server).

Depending on the size of the environment and the number of machines it will migrate, you will need more resources in the VM such as memory, processing and even storage.

And another detail, when doing the FB (Fail Back), has a disk space in Vm which is the CS / PS, because you will need a retention partition.

Read the above Guide that has everything described.

A hug

Thanks.  What I'm asking is if the configuration server can be a physical server, not a virtual server.  We have all virtual servers for our production environment, but I want the ASR configuration server to be on a separate physical machine, not a virtual one.  Because it's a physical machine, I can't install VMWare Tools on it.  The only way I can manage to get the configuration server installed on it is if I select "No" when the setup asks if I'll be backing up virtual machines...