SOLVED

WVD Tenant (Fall Update)

Copper Contributor

So I’ve searched the whole internet for an more detail description to what a WVD Tenant actually is. A description of when to create a new WVD Tenant.

From the official Mirosoft documentation from Windows Virtual Desktop Fall 2019 Release I got this:

“A tenant is a group of one or more host pools. Each host pool consists of multiple session hosts, running as virtual machines in Azure and registered to the Windows Virtual Desktop service.”

It does not describe in what use case you create a new tenant instead of just adding a new hostpool to your existing tenant.

This is my understanding of the rest of the hierarchy:

Tenant Groups: Group with multiple tenants. This is used for administrating a multi-Azuretenant WVD environment.

Tenant: group of one or more host pools.

Hostpool: Every WVD sessionhost is a member of 1 hostpool. Is connected to one WVD Tenant

AppGroups: This is where you give users access to WVD. Either through Remote App or Desktop App

So my question is as follows.

In what scenario do you create a new WVD tenant instead of just creating a new hostpool.

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

@OlePN : We have a short explanation under concepts in this article here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/virtual-desktop-fall-2019/environment-setup-2...

You want to create a new tenant with each new Azure Active Directory you manage. Customers usually create host pools by type of workload that users require.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

@OlePN : We have a short explanation under concepts in this article here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/virtual-desktop-fall-2019/environment-setup-2...

You want to create a new tenant with each new Azure Active Directory you manage. Customers usually create host pools by type of workload that users require.

View solution in original post