SOLVED

WVD setup with Azure AD DS and Multiple Custom Domains

Brass Contributor

Hello everyone, need some guidance and views on WVD setup that we are thinking to provision

• Azure subscription's Azure AD has multiple verified custom domains e.g. alpha.com, beta.com, gamma.com
  • Because of multiple custom domain, same Azure AD contains users with different domain names e.g xyz@alpha.com, pqr@beta.com, abc@gamma.com
  • Azure AD Domain Service resource provisioned with domain name alpha.com
  • Host pool machines are joined to alpha.com domain
  • Users from alpha.com are assigned to Desktop and App groups
  • WVD setup seem to work fine so far and users have access to relevant app groups. 

Now with this, would we need to take care of anything specific if we want to provide access to beta.com and gamma.com domain users to application or desktop app groups in same WVD setup?

Would this setup be recommended to be used in production? If not, what are the best practices around it when WVD setup is using Azure AD Domain Services and Azure AD has multiple custom domains associated with it?

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies

@bhushangawale I have a some what similar setup (2 different domain names in one DC, synching to Azure AD and from there to Azure AD DS) Generally I have not seen issues with users connecting (Regardless of the domain name in their UPN).

I am wandering why Azure AD DS is needed in this scenario? Due to no DC in Azure and no express route to on prem?

best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

@bhushangawale 

Multiple Custom Domains is different from Azure AD Domain Services. Custom domains are DNS domain names that you have associated with your Azure tenant.  Azure AD Domain Services is an Active Directory domain name hosted for you by Microsoft. It provides legacy authentication like LDAP, Kerberos, and NTLM. It also provides domain join capabilities ( not Azure AD Join) that is common with on-premises Active Directories.  The users created in the managed domain (Azure AD Domain Services) arrive through a one-way synchronization from Azure AD. All the users and groups in your tenant are synced in the managed domain and have the same user principal name as they do in Azure. So, it doesn't matter if they are from alpha, beta, or gamma domains. If the user has been created in your Azure AD Tenant (cloud user) or synced from your on-premises domains and forests through AAD Connect, then the user can authenticate to the managed domain (you just need to ensure those users have RDP access to the virtual machines or WVD sessions). 

Hope that helps

Mike Stephens

Senior Program Manager

Azure Identity

IAM Core | Domain Services

@Mike Stephens , I fully understand what you are saying but for me, it just does not work.. 
I have setup as described, multiple domains (a.com , b.com and c.com ) in Azure and Azure AD Domain Services (with only domain "a.com" in there)

The VM's are joined to a.com and users with sign-in name in Azure with @a.com can work just fine, however, users with @b.com or at @c.com can sign on to WVD but, when they get the second (rdp) authentication prompt, they cannot sign in, no matter what they try (entering upn, sam account name, domain\username ,etc...)
When I look at the groups on the VM, users are in there and are allowed to RDP into the machine.
Anything I can check ?

@Mike Stephens , Hmm, just figured out it does work after a password reset on Azure.
I now entered a more complex password.

Could it be that the password complexity policy of AAD DS was not met ? Is there even one set as default ?

@Vincent Szabang I think existing users in Azure AD before provisioning of the ADDS would need to perform the password reset so that their identities are synced 'correctly' in the DC, for newly created user accounts (post ADDS provisioning) it works without any issue. 

To be precise in terms of why the password reset is required - I think it is because of the fact that the Azure ADDS relies on the password hash format that supports NTLM and Kerberos password hash and until Azure ADDS is not deployed, the Azure AD does not store password hashes in these formats so the password reset is the only solution or workaround to get these hashes generated so that Azure ADDS can start using those and for newly created users (post Azure ADDS deployment) those are auto-generated and hence no need to reset passwords of those accounts.

@Vincent Szabang  Newly created cloud users do not sync to the managed domain until the user has changed their password. In Azure, when you create a new user, the user is assigned a default password and is forced to change it on the next sign-in.  AAD DS will not sync the user until they change their password.  Password complexity is entirely handled on the Azure AD side. 

Hi Mike,
I have a question on similar set up that we have a AADDS with xyz.com and AVD sessions hosts are joined to it. we have custom domains with a.com, b.com and c.com so on each custom domain is for each customer of ours and we have different hostpools for each of them assignments also done according to their relative custom domain name ID. now the question is we do not want user of company a be able to check the Azure AD or list Azure AD users from even PowerShell, I did conditional access policy by which I could completely block access but can we do a scope by which the users of company A can only see their users may be by PowerShell and for company B user he can only see their company B users. Let me know if this is making sense or a Tenant each for one company would be ideal.
P.S. Company users are external users.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

@bhushangawale 

Multiple Custom Domains is different from Azure AD Domain Services. Custom domains are DNS domain names that you have associated with your Azure tenant.  Azure AD Domain Services is an Active Directory domain name hosted for you by Microsoft. It provides legacy authentication like LDAP, Kerberos, and NTLM. It also provides domain join capabilities ( not Azure AD Join) that is common with on-premises Active Directories.  The users created in the managed domain (Azure AD Domain Services) arrive through a one-way synchronization from Azure AD. All the users and groups in your tenant are synced in the managed domain and have the same user principal name as they do in Azure. So, it doesn't matter if they are from alpha, beta, or gamma domains. If the user has been created in your Azure AD Tenant (cloud user) or synced from your on-premises domains and forests through AAD Connect, then the user can authenticate to the managed domain (you just need to ensure those users have RDP access to the virtual machines or WVD sessions). 

Hope that helps

Mike Stephens

Senior Program Manager

Azure Identity

IAM Core | Domain Services

View solution in original post