WVD Licensing

Copper Contributor

Hi

Can someone please try and answer this query as we seem to be having no luck with reseller about clarification on this matter.

Scenario:

As MSP we want to deploy all WVD Resources including Azure AD, AD DS in our tenant - call it MSP Tenant. This is where all workspace, session hosts etc will live.

We then have Customer 1, Customer 2 etc - they have their own Microsoft 365 tenants and we have licensed the users with Microsoft 365 Business Premium.

Now to connect to WVD we create user accounts in our tenant AD - say user1@msptenant.com

Because WVD does not allow connectivity for guest accounts yet - much needed feature to solve this shenanigan!

User1 also in their own Microsoft 365 tenant has Microsoft 365 Business Premium license - say user1@customer1.com

User1 is now able to connect to our WVD resources using user1@msptenant.com account and all is working ok.

Is User1 meeting the license requirements for WVD? OR will we need to double up on license for his user1@msptenant.com account too despite him already having appropriate license on user1@customer1.com account?

2 Replies
Can someone at Microsoft please answer this - strange how no one (not even our Distributor) has an answer for this - numerous tickets raised about this and yet no answer!

@limaecho 

We did get a response from our distributor (Ingram Micro) and from Microsoft Belgium directly. The technical architecture you outlined does function (Tested this myself) but according to them does not adhere to licensing requirements. 

Even a setup where you would double-up on licences is not allowed. Sad, but true. 

The impact is you need to deploy a domain controller per tenant. I suggest B2S (21-25€) unless if your domain controller needs to double as an applicationserver for something other then DC. It also means that for smaller deployments you might need to scale down sufficiently. I suggest B4MS or even B2MS servers for such deployments. It makes things a bit less efficient then lobbing everything into one big MSP tenant but you should be able to build a cost-efficient infrastructure none the less.