SOLVED

WVD Issue -Explorer Constantly Crashing and Restarting

Brass Contributor

Just wondering if anyone else has come across an issue where explorer.exe keeps crashing and restarting every few seconds when you login to WVD using the Remote Desktop client on Windows 10 2004.

You can't even sign out as by the time you open up the windows start menu explorer.exe is restarted and you loose the Windows UI.

The workaround was to restart the VM which resolved the problem for now. 

The error in event viewer is:
Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.19041.329, time stamp: 0xb584d6c9
Faulting module name: srchadmin.dll, version: 7.0.19041.1, time stamp: 0xe9485001
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000020e6
Faulting process ID: 0x654
Faulting application start time: 0x01d65a5038b36735
Faulting application path: C:\windows\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\System32\srchadmin.dll
Report ID: 92845fd7-74e9-4bfb-8b04-3b96443985b7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

41 Replies

@tilikumtim We had a very similar issue. When using both the profile container and the office container, files on demand was not available as an option. When we disabled the o365 container it all worked correctly.

@Dale HayterThat's interesting you should mention that, as I've had another intermittent issue with FSlogix container disks not detaching when users sign out (profiles are stored in Azure Files share, standard tier). I think Office containers are the cause of that, as so far I've not had the issue occur when disabling them. It's a shame Microsoft only mentioned it's best practice to disable Office containers a few months after WVD went GA (but they don't specifically state why...), as I think they are the cause of quite a few issues.

@tilikumtim Indeed. Love it how they have a box below recommending not to use in WVD. Shame as our customer quite liked to seperate out the OST file to separate storage

@Dale HayterYes they seem like a good idea in theory and it would be nice to split out some data from the profile container. I can only assume there are issues with them working properly in a Windows 10 multi-session environment, otherwise it would be nice to hear from Microsoft as to why they don't recommend using them. In future WVD deployments, I'm just going to keep FSlogix settings as minimal as possible, I think that's the safest approach!

@tilikumtim, we're not seeing that issue thankfully.  I was passed the FSLogix preview yesterday by MS so it will be good to see what happens now I've applied that.

@PieterWigleven Hi Pieter, I am still not seeing this update, it is preventing me from completing work I need to, it was supposed to be released last week, can you please check what is going on??

Kind regards

Adam

@Adam1970 Hi Adam, I've been chasing this internally and it turns out the 10C release has been delayed for Windows 2004/20H2 to 10/29/20 - in other words: tomorrow. 

Let me know if you are able to see it come down and hopefully remediates the issue you are experiencing. 

Thanks,

Pieter

@PieterWigleven Hi Pieter, I am still not seeing it, am I missing something??

Cheers Adam.

@Adam1970 I'm seeing it on one of my test VMs (see attached screenshot). Please let me now whether you are able to see this in the Windows Update settings page.

@PieterWigleven Hi Pieter, I am still not seeing it, there were some updates as you can see from the image I have uploaded, however after installing those and restarting it is now showing as "You're up to date" Any other ideas??

Cheers
Adam

@Adam1970 I'm not sure why the 10C update isn't offered, it should be once you're up-to-date and you manually go hit the update button. You can also download it manually by going to the Microsoft Update Catalog and search for it (direct link here). 

You may need to download the Windows Server version due to the way win10 multi-session identifies itself.

Hope to hear from you whether this helped. 

@Adam1970 any luck? Curious to hear if you managed to find the update and seeing any changes.

@PieterWigleven Hi Pieter, the 10c update never showed so I did a manual install, hopefully this will resolve the issue with Windows Explorer restarting, I will let you know on here if not, many thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Adam.

@Adam1970 It appeared on one of our WVD farms ok. You dont have any deferral periods defined for quality updates do you?

WVDupdate.png

@Dale Hayter Hi Dale, yeah it looks like we have there is a local GPO set for it, no idea where is has come from though as I did not set it and there is no domain GPO set, thanks for the heads up though mate :)

Kind regards

Adam.

@Dale Hayter  Hi Dale, so all the hosts I have checked both 1909 and 2004 have the attached policy set, which has a 30 day deferral for any quality updates, it is a local policy and not something I have set, I wondered if the optimise script I use could have set it but I cannot find any reference to it, so I was wondering if it was a default policy set for the multi session image used for WVD?? Did you have it set??

Thanks in advance
Adam.

@Adam1970 Nope. This particular farm we haven't deferred any updates as not in production yet. At least you know why you are not getting the update...

@Dale Hayter  Thanks for the swift reply fella, do you have any hosts in production? I ask as I see it on the 2004 host, which are still in dev but also on the production 1909 hosts as well, I am just trying to work out when it was set, it is not something I have gone in and implicitly set, and there is no reference to that local GPO in any of the optimise/finalise scripts I run so wondering if it is turned on by default??

Adam.

The host that is not in production does not have any windows deferal settings configured in Domain Group Policy. Before they move into production WUfB policies are defined. I have just checked a pre-production and its local group policy no settings are configured. In your screenshot there is even a hold date configured so something historically must have set it. Maybe run rsop.msc on the server to see what GPO that is coming from if it is.

Hi Pieter - I still have this issue after multiple attempt to work with Windows Performance Tech Support.   From this forum, it sounds like a major bug that aren't being addressed yet.