WVD and FSLogix

Brass Contributor

A little bit of a rant...

We've built our new WVD environment and it looked like FSLogix was the way to go. All the MS documentation is proclaiming the benefits of cloud cache in Azure Blob storage: speed, resiliency,etc.

It's given us nothing but trouble.

FSLogix registry settings that are badly explainined in the MS documentation and constant changes to it that have now added critical "don't do this" (RoamSearch on Windows 10 multi-session for example).

Black screens on log due to AppReadiness.

Corrupt VHD files.

Awful.

So we finally get a support call with someone that I think is a former FSLogix staffer. Basically everything we've done is wrong according to him. Don't use cloud cache, use two servers running DFS for the VHD files and change a load of registry settings

What?

MS had a great opportunity here to launch WVD in conjunction with FSLogix with best practice guidance to get everyone up and running with good platforms that combine the best of these technologies and they've screwed it up royally.

Get some documentation out there on how to use these things together in a way that actually works.

4 Replies

@OffColour1972  Thank for the input, by the way I am in the same boat. What did find out so far about the registry settings and is using the profiles with DFS the best way to go? What registry settings did you change for the better?

@OffColour1972  

Hi 

These are the settings I have with our production users and after a bit of tweaking we are now in a stable state where FSlogix appears to be working without issue. 

clipboard_image_0.png

We did initially have issues in regards to applications not being retained in the users profile aka teams and issues with users ost files however so far we have not had a report of an issue that relates to FSlogix for a number of months. 

Ours is running on a premium disk which is not DFRS i know however it suits the customer just fine as they were not willing to pay the cost for a DFRS solution. I dont know if that helps you at all. 

Oh and agreed that the online documentation is janky to say the least.

cheers

Will 

Hi @WillSomerville 

Are you using a server for the VHDs or Azure Storage?

On the DFSR it doesn't appropriate anyway as FSLogix lets you set multiple VHD locations that it writes to simulataneously (I think).

Hi @OffColour1972 

Yes I have a dedicated Drive on a server for all my FSLOGIX profiles which i have had no issues with. if you have it configured you can allow simultaneous sign ins however there are issues with this such as a users .ost file being in use only on one of the sessions.