SOLVED

PUBLIC PREVIEW: Announcing public preview of Azure AD joined VMs

Microsoft

We are excited to announce the public preview of Azure AD joined VMs support for Azure Virtual Desktop. This feature allows customers to easily deploy Azure AD joined session hosts from the Azure portal and access them from all clients. VMs can also be automatically enrolled in Intune for ease of management. Support for storing FSLogix profiles on Azure files will be available in a future update.

Getting started:

The documentation to deploy Azure AD joined session hosts will guide you through the key steps needed to enable this functionality.

68 Replies

@David Belanger 

I managed to create two different Host Pools, each with its VM and application publishing, working 100%.

but now i'm trying to create again and the VMs are only with the status Unavailable, with this error it is not possible to work with access via RDP publishing.

I've already performed both procedures
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/troubleshoot-agent#error-vms-are-stuck-in-una...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/troubleshoot-agent#step-1-uninstall-all-agent...

but without success, any other procedure to perform and try to fix this error?

@mcavalcantitecmicrosof  Was there any error during the deployment itself?

When going to the Host pool / Session host section in the Azure portal, if you select a host pool that is marked unavailable and clicked the ViewDetails option:

DavidBelanger_0-1630343510619.png

What do you see as failed (HealthCheckFailed) in the document that opens up. It should look like this:

DavidBelanger_1-1630343564020.png

hi Rob, seems excluding the VM object isn't working for me and i keep getting error message - user account used to connect to the rd-gateway... did not work.
Excluding the Azure Windows VM sign-in does work for me however it also blocks MFA on Jamf Connect Login (MDM) which is a bigger concern for the organisation.
Any advice pls?

@Nikonline 

Hey Nikonline - I encountered such issues and this is what I did to resolve.

• Navigate to the Host Pool
  • Click "Access Control (IAM)"
  • Click "Role Assignments"
  • Click "Add"
  • Find "Virtual Machine Administrator Login" or "Virtual Machine User Login"
    • In my case I selected Administrator
  • Add Security Group or user

For my MFA CA Policy:

• Cloud Apps:
    • Exclude "Azure Windows VM Sign-in"
    • Exclude "Windows Virtual Desktop"
Thanks Chris, the problem is if i exclude the Azure Windows VM sign-in app then it blocks MFA for Jamf Connect Login (MacOS MDM that authenticates users against AAD). Thats a bigger risk to us. So i was wondering if the Cloud VM object can be used in the CA Policy to further streamline the MFA exclusion.

@David Belanger 

Would just like to confirm that you can access/login to AAD-Joined session hosts from an Azure AD Registered Device using your AAD credentials?? The docs state it below (third point) but when I have tested this it doesn't work; it does however work fine when the local PC is AAD Joined.

Does it need to be a certain edition of Windows 10?

Connect using the Windows Desktop client

The default configuration supports connections from Windows 10 using the Windows Desktop client. You can use your credentials, smart card, Windows Hello for Business certificate trust or Windows Hello for Business key trust with certificates to sign in to the session host. However, to access the session host, your local PC must meet one of the following conditions:

• The local PC is Azure AD-joined to the same Azure AD tenant as the session host
  • The local PC is hybrid Azure AD-joined to the same Azure AD tenant as the session host
  • The local PC is running Windows 10, version 2004 and later, and is Azure AD registered to the same Azure AD tenant as the session host

To enable access from Windows devices not joined to Azure AD, add targetisaadjoined:i:1 as a custom RDP property to the host pool. These connections are restricted to entering user name and password credentials when signing in to the session host.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/deploy-azure-ad-joined-vm

@ahart3 Make sure you have assigned these AAD users in the RBAC roles(e.g. Virtual Machine Contributor or Virtual Machine User Login) of the VMs

I did make that change. I've tested again this morning and all seems to be working fine now, strange but hey that is a good result :)

@ahart3 Cool! nice to know. You can then corporate these AAD joined VMs to Intune for added security its like a GPO but a flat structure. Also Virtual Machine Administrator Login role will assign a local admin privileges for that user on the session host, as for Virtual Machine User Login, it will only assign as a non admin role inside the session host.