Performance of a WVD versus local resource.

Copper Contributor

Hello All,

i had WVD pitched at me recently when discussing the fact that in order to become more mobile, i would need to begin using an average spec laptop device. The suggestion was that i could access a far superior hardware spec via the Windows Virtual Desktop PaaS solution that would allow me to run graphic and engineering software far more effectively than the low-spec local hardware would.

i don't understand this. my limited perception of how the local hardware versus the cloud hardware would operate is pretty much:

Adobe software accesses my local SSD and GPU to process the heavy lifting i require for After Effects or Photoshop or Audition. If the same Adobe software is installed on a VD out there in the cloud, is there a way that i could benefit from this even if the VD has much, much higher specifications than my local hardware?

Would i not lose any (or most) benefits of the cloud-based superior hardware in transit over the internet?

1 Reply
Hi, basically all your doing from local machine is viewing what’s happening on the remote machine which is very low labour intensive on local machine and internet much like watching streaming a video off a website. I would say it would be far cheaper to buy a high spec machine.