Password prompt every time we connect to WVD

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Every time we start an app for the first time (ie no active session) we get prompted for username/password credentials.

We currently have both fall & spring wvd environments running.

On the fall environment, i am the only user where the Remote Desktop app has somehow remembered my credentials, because I (as the only user in the tenant!) is never asked for password - however I am on the new spring release - just like all my colleagues.

We run a full AD synced with AD Connect to Azure AD.

Am I missing something, or should we not get the option to "remember me" when entering credentials? (its not there)

11 Replies

@Raaert If I undestand what you are saying, when you sign into WVD, either by the web or the client you will receive a prompt for a user/password after clicking on your Desktop Session or Remote App, right? If so, what you are seeing is a prompt to not only connect to the SaaS service, but then the credentials are passed onto the server hosting the session or app. I saw another post or mention that it is not supported to do SSO on this and that the feature is being looked at.

If anyone knows any more I have clients interested in that feature and would like to see more on it. 

Hi,

I know SSO is not working (yet).
But on my first login when i was setting up WVD, i got the “remember me” checkbox and it has remembered my login ever since, however i dont get it on the new WVD (spring update) and none of my colleagues get it on fall or spring update.

I see it mentioned in Christian Brinkhoffs WVD articles.

If i install Remote Desktop on one of my servers in another environment i can get the remember me checkbox there, and im currently clueless as to what makes it work some times and not others
It's a good point, wish I knew the answer. Should I ever come across anything I will let you know.

@Raaert 

Check that you don't have "Always prompt for password upon connection" set in group policy or in the registry on the session host

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Security 

or 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services

fPromptForPassword DWORD
1 = enable

@techguy129 

Unfortunatly this was not it :(

We figured out the issue.

An employee had deployed an Intune security policy denying the ability to save RDP logins....

@Raaert 
I'm unsure if this will help you but I resolved the issue I was having.
Check your Azure storage account(s), click on file service and ensure you've got enough free space! If you've maxed out your space this could be corrupting old profiles, and preventing new ones from being created.
Issues would appear as re-entering passwords, local data not being saved, etc

We found that setting this policy to 'Disabled' on the client made the checkbox appear to save credentials (even if it was set to 'not configured' previously this made it appear):

Computer Configuration => Admin Templates => Windows Components => Remote Desktop Services => Remote Desktop Connection Client => Do not allow passwords to be saved.

(link removed by moderator)

@Raaert wondering if you would happen to remember what the policy was and the properties of it? Encountered a similar issue and trying to resolve

@JaradM try checking for a credential guard setting. I have that disabled and my notes say it's so that users can save their remote app credentials. You can also check the Registry for the credential guard settings, this Windows Club link has the paths you can check out: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-credential-guard-windows-10#:~:text=Now%2C%20to%20enable%20Win...

@Raaert

May check Intune or conditional access the first thing