SOLVED

Outlook login issues with WVD - FSLogix

Copper Contributor

Having an issue where user of WVD Windows 10 Multi-session have issues moving between hosts. Essentially first login on a host is fine, when the user moves to a new host outlook eventually says "need password" however the modern authentication prompts are never presented to the user.

Anyone have any insight? Perhaps Something with AzureFiles / FSlogix?

Thanks in advance.

219 Replies
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

@DAsnow this scenario isn't ringing a bell in terms of a common scenario, probably best to contact support on this.

@DAsnow 

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity, create a DWORD value named EnableADAL and set it to zero.
  • Under the same registry key, create a DWORD value named DisableADALatopWAMOverride and set it to 1
Did you get this fixed @DAsnow? I have the same issue and I can't disable ADAL otherwise it causes a business critical application to not work.

Can anyone at MS clear up things?

It can't be that we need to disable modern authentication because if fails to connect for multiple users.

I deployed a new WVD pool this weeknd and already experienced disconnected users in Outlook after x amount of time. Setting EnableADAL to 0 forces the applications back to basic authentication.

Experienced these issues before on local clients so it is not WVD related at all.

When forcing everyone to use MFA we simply cannot disable Modern Auth!

Removing the user profile completely resolves the issue but is very cumbersome for the end-user.

Is there a problem with permissions in the credential manager? Because it contains a lot of entries for ADAL, almost seems like it cannot update the 1 existing entry and goes haywire after x amount of time.

Thanks in advance!

@ritchnet unfortunately this issue is not resolved. i have tried many things mentioned here and other sites and have no concrete resolution or reason why it occurs.

@DAsnow

we also get this issue by disabling modern auth it stops users outlooks from disconnecting every hour or so however when there password expires thats when it really becomes an issue. Due to our users making use of SharePoint and Onedrive we are unable to make use of the basic auth functions due to modern authentication being required to access these services. I can get it to open a new window if i put in something similar like a .onmicrosoft.com and then change the address after however this doesnt always work.

clipboard_image_0.png

I've given MS a nudge with a support ticket that i have open with them regarding a few outstanding bits. 

Hello @DAsnow 

I have now got a resolution to this issue and it may work for you it may not however mine was down to some missing configuration in regards to Azure and AD connect.

The issue that we see is that when a users password expires or they need to authenticate to outlook they would put their email address in or they would click on enter password and the popup would appear and then immediately disappear.

1. ensure devices are appearing as azure hybrid devices in azure active directory (365 side) the devices need to appear as hybrid devices if you are using standard ADDS join and not Azure ADDS. This is due to the fact that users upon sign in need to update device registration when they go to sign into 365 services. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/devices/hybrid-azuread-join-managed-domains

2. ensure that SSO is configured correctly. in my case i had forgotten to push out a zone policy making the SSO urls part of the intranet zone.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/how-to-connect-sso-quick-start#browse...

once the above are configured my issues simply went away as much as i tried to break it i couldn't do so. The pre req's on the what is windows virtual desktop is not clear which is why i didn't set the devices up as hybrid devices. 

hope some of this helps!

This is helpful, thank you. One question for @WillSomerville are you using onPren AD connect or Cloud AD to Azure AD? 

Hi @DAsnow 

we have currently setup 2 DC's in the Azure Datacenters we operate out off. one of which has AD connect. we also have however on premise DCs with one of those with AD connect. One of the Azure DC's is the PDC now which has AD connect running on it.  

It shouldn't matter however where you have AD connect running from as long as it has line of sight of the domain controllers to be able to read and sync the relevant changes to and from ADDS to Azure ADDS.

cheers

Will 

@knowlite  any news on this issue? Still having same problem no resolution yet.

@DAsnow can you try to manually register the AADBroker plug in on the user session that is experiencing this issue? 

From Powershell, first verify if it's installed:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin

I would it expect that the ADDBrokerPlugin isn't installed, if so, try to manually register the app:
Add-AppxPackage -Register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\Appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

Appreciate you may have looked at this already, but I had exactly the same issue - Outlook password box not surfacing correctly to the user in a WVD Win10 session with FSLogix configured. User's shouldn't have been challenged for a password at all.

For me, the issue was that the WVD session host OU was excluded from synchronisation in the AD Connect console. As soon as I enabled synchronisation for the OU, the problem went away. Transparent sign in, no password prompts.

@Tom_A_MSFT i was having the same problem as others on this thread, and manually registering the aadbrokerplugin per your recommendation fixed the issue. thanks.

@Tom_A_MSFT activating the aad brokerplugin in a user session doesn't appear to persist.  i logged out and back in and i'm back to the same problem i had before.

@Tom_A_MSFT 
The command to register the AAD Broker plugin works but does not persist after logoff/logon.  Additionally, all new profiles need this command to be ran.  We have implemented a login script that runs the AAD Broker plugin registration command which is keeping Modern Auth working for all users at this point but we cannot seem to get to the root cause.  We have engaged Microsoft support and our partner resources but the issue doesn't seem to be able to be replicated with a standard gallery image.  

I'm suspicious of FSLogix.  I'm going to test disabling FS Logix and see if local profiles do not have the issue.  However, we've simply set everything up per MS documentation on our Win 10 multi-session image, installed Office in shared activation mode per the WVD documentation, then snapshot, sysprep, and re-deployed using the WVD deployment template and our custom/sysprep image.  We've also gone back to the bare basics in terms of the FS Logix GPO after tinkering with various settings.  

I will update this thread as we learn more but any new information would certainly be appreciated.  I'll just state the obvious here but turning off modern authentication through the registry is not an option for our MFA enabled accounts.

I've also found a past issue where FSLogix was having issues with edge and the solution was to register the appx package for edge. 
Article on FSLogix forum here:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d18184fe-a703-44e8-a4d3-f824ed10eeb6/ed...
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed additional appx package issues.  We also see a black screen at login for users due to app readiness service.  We are also seeing failures for some of these additional appx packages (which can be temporarily fixed by registering again in PowerShell).

Faulting application path:

ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe
WindowsInternal.ComposableShell.Experiences.TextInput.InputApp.exe
microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_16005.11029.20108.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Microsoft.WindowsStore_11811.1001.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

@DAsnow 

Hey - we had this same issue. I found that it was releated to the fact that the 'manage my computer' process was skipped when someone hopped from one host to another after a logoff/logon process.

Here's what I did to fix.

In Outlook, File -> Office Account

Click Sign Out under user information. Now, you'll notice that clicking 'sign in' will not work with the current user information, it will just keep failing. Log in with another account (an administrator account or whatver you'd like). It will go through the process of signing in, but will eventually popup an error message as you cannot have two different accounts signed in. Close that error window...but, low and behold, it will ask you to sign into office again. At this point, put the normal user's email and password in again and it will prompt to manage this device/etc. Click through all of those screens and let it do it's thing and you should be good.

@Deanbostedor I'm having the exact issue you described and also believe it's an FSLogix problem.  Have you made any progress troubleshooting? I've gone through the same steps you described. 

I can easily reproduce the issue when using the FSLogix profile service and logging in to the brokered WVD service with the Remote Desktop app, but if I login to the WVD hosts directly using MSTSC, and get a local profile, the issue cannot be reproduced.

@Rob Blankers - We currently have a Sev B ticket open and the FSLogix team is looking into it.

We rebuilt the entire host pool using a method given to us directly from a WVD Architect.  We configured a new profile UNC path and the issue is back 3-4 days later.  We went from 60+ registered Appx packages to maybe a dozen or more.  The strange thing now is that the Azure AD Broker plugin is registered but we're seeing the following Azure AD Broker error in the event viewer (see screenshot):

Error: 0xCAA5001C Token broker operation failed.
Operation name: GetTokenSilently, Error: -2147024893 (0x80070003), Description: The system cannot find the path specified.

The system cannot find the path specified.

Logged at webaccountprocessor.cpp, line: 593, method: AAD::Core::WebAccountProcessor::ReportOperationError.

Deanbostedor_0-1585275588575.png

Deanbostedor_1-1585275671024.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

@DAsnow this scenario isn't ringing a bell in terms of a common scenario, probably best to contact support on this.

View solution in original post