Microsoft Print to PDF not working, nor any third-party PDF printer

Copper Contributor

Microsoft Print to PDF or any other third-party Print to PDF printers are not working for us. It looks like this is related to a bug in one of the latest security updates for Windows.

Have anybody found a solution or workaround?

Thanks!

5 Replies

Hi @chris1170 

Please go to the Control Panel, then Devices and Printers, and right-click on Microsoft Print to PDF and select TroubleshootI hope this could be helpful for you, please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance, I will welcome the questions you may have.

Hi @SalmanAhmed; thank you for your response.

I have already tried the troubleshooting tool but it didn't fix the problem. It just makes me select the printer as the default printer and doesn't detect any other problems. I have also tried the following:

• Disabled and re-enabled the Microsoft Print to PDF feature.
  • Set Microsoft Print to PDF as the default printer.
  • Reinstalled Microsoft Print to PDF drivers.
  • Updated Windows 10.
  • Removed ALL the print queues just in case.
  • Rebooted the machine multiple times.
  • Cleared all print jobs and restarted the Print Spooler service.
  • Installed third-party pdf printers.
  • Used the troubleshooting feature in Windows.

Thank you!

Hi @chris1170 

Within the Microsoft Docs Q&A Questions forum there is thread titled Microsoft Print to PDF & XPS Document Writer Missing & Won't Reinstall.

This thread has extensive information;

• Comparison of file versions for a working device and the device not working.
  • Windows Registry Locations and Settings

Scroll through the discussion looks to Reset the PC and I would use this as a last option.  At the end of the page an entry by @AndyMichel-8552 where with his experience he was able to resolve the issue and lists the steps taken.

I cannot validate the solution as I currently do not experience this issue.

@chris1170 

You should try to reinstall Microsoft printer to PDF 

This worked for me.

• Type Advanced printer setup in the windows search bar
  • Click on the search result, Next the search wizard will search for printers and display them on a list.
  • Select Microsoft Print To PDF and click Next
  • Follow the instructions provided by the setup wizard to complete the installation.

Hope this steps will work for you. If you are interested in seeing a short video footage click here.

The following worked for me:

1. Go to Settings>Bluetooth & Devices>Printers & Scanners

2. Remove Microsoft Print to Pdf

3. Restart the pc

4. The printer should be reinstalled automatically. (If not, then go to Settings>Bluetooth & Devices>Printers & Scanners and click "Add printer." Click "The printer that I want isn’t listed." Click Add a local or network printer with manual settings, then click Next. Select Use an existing port, then click in the list box, then select FILE: Print to File)

5. Repeat step 1

6. Under Printer Properties, in the advanced tab, tick "Start Printing after last page is spooled."

I hope this helps.