Main monitor for the Remote Desktop Client

Iron Contributor

Is there a way to select a "main monitor" for the the AVD session. Our users have a laptop (wherever they want it) amongst 3 standard 24" monitors. We have a few hyper-annoying users making this request and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason that I could find in short order to select a main monitor.

5 Replies
If they're using a full desktop session, they can right click on the icon in the AVD client and turn off the default settings. Once this is done they should be able to select a display configuration (all display, single display, select display)
Yeah we're aware of all that. Just was wondering there was some trick to otherwise get it to work the way they want it to "silence" them. It is what it is.

@DBR14 

I've found a way to select the main display.  

Background:

With mstsc.exe, which is clearly the basis for this new AVD Remote Desktop application, selecting the main monitor involves editing the .rdp file's selectedmonitors setting.  

Example

selectedmonitors:s:2,1,0

The above setting will make monitor #2 the main monitor as it is listed first.  

The same settings seem to be used for the new remote desktop app, but they are instead stored in the Windows Registry

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RdClientRadc\Feeds\<account_email>\<feed_ID>\DesktopDisplaySettings\<machine_ID>\SelectedMonitors

Of course, you will need to determine the <account_email>, <feed_ID> and <machine_ID> for the specific connection you are trying to modify.  Once you locate it, just modify the order of the selected monitors and reconnect to the AVD.  

They seem to have broken this with the 1.2.4763.0 update. Doesn't matter what I put in the registry key for SelectedMonitors, the left-most monitor is always the main display. Worked fine prior to this release.

@dev_steve just tried that, sounds like the perfect "oldschool" rdp solution, but it really doesn't seem to work anymore. Does anyone has an update?