SOLVED

JoinDomain / Conflict

Copper Contributor

Reference: 

1. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/Getting-started-with-Windows-Virtual-Desk...

2. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/tenant-setup-azure-active-directory

Following these two sets of instructions I end up like this post:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Virtual-Desktop/Azure-Windows-Virtual-Desktop-Provisi...

With the following Errors:

{
"code": "DeploymentFailed",
"message": "At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-debug for usage details.",
"details": [
{
"code": "Conflict",
"message": "{\r\n \"status\": \"Failed\",\r\n \"error\": {\r\n \"code\": \"ResourceDeploymentFailure\",\r\n \"message\": \"The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.\",\r\n \"details\": [\r\n {\r\n \"code\": \"VMExtensionProvisioningError\",\r\n \"message\": \"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'joindomain'. Error message: \\\"Exception(s) occured while joining Domain 'ericperiardoutlook.onmicrosoft.com'\\\".\"\r\n }\r\n ]\r\n }\r\n}"
},
{
"code": "Conflict",
"message": "{\r\n \"status\": \"Failed\",\r\n \"error\": {\r\n \"code\": \"ResourceDeploymentFailure\",\r\n \"message\": \"The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.\",\r\n \"details\": [\r\n {\r\n \"code\": \"VMExtensionProvisioningError\",\r\n \"message\": \"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'joindomain'. Error message: \\\"Exception(s) occured while joining Domain 'ericperiardoutlook.onmicrosoft.com'\\\".\"\r\n }\r\n ]\r\n }\r\n}"
}
]
}

Simple format:

{"code":"DeploymentFailed","message":"At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-debug for usage details.","details":[{"code":"Conflict","message":"{\r\n \"status\": \"Failed\",\r\n \"error\": {\r\n \"code\": \"ResourceDeploymentFailure\",\r\n \"message\": \"The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.\",\r\n \"details\": [\r\n {\r\n \"code\": \"VMExtensionProvisioningError\",\r\n \"message\": \"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'joindomain'. Error message: \\\"Exception(s) occured while joining Domain 'ericperiardoutlook.onmicrosoft.com'\\\".\"\r\n }\r\n ]\r\n }\r\n}"},{"code":"Conflict","message":"{\r\n \"status\": \"Failed\",\r\n \"error\": {\r\n \"code\": \"ResourceDeploymentFailure\",\r\n \"message\": \"The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.\",\r\n \"details\": [\r\n {\r\n \"code\": \"VMExtensionProvisioningError\",\r\n \"message\": \"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'joindomain'. Error message: \\\"Exception(s) occured while joining Domain 'ericperiardoutlook.onmicrosoft.com'\\\".\"\r\n }\r\n ]\r\n }\r\n}"}]} 

Operations details log:

{ "id": "/subscriptions/*********/resourceGroups/WVD_Res2/providers/Microsoft.Resources/deployments/rds.wvd-provision-host-pool-20190627145332/operations/E8FDFA5D64A165EB", "operationId": "E8FDFA5D64A165EB", "properties": { "provisioningOperation": "Create", "provisioningState": "Failed", "timestamp": "2019-06-27T19:19:39.8700652Z", "duration": "PT9M9.9497337S", "trackingId": "bf964015-bbdf-4c69-8487-5d253041057a", "statusCode": "Conflict", "statusMessage": { "status": "Failed", "error": { "code": "ResourceDeploymentFailure", "message": "The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.", "details": [ { "code": "VMExtensionProvisioningError", "message": "VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'joindomain'. Error message: \"Exception(s) occured while joining Domain 'ericperiardoutlook.onmicrosoft.com'\"." } ] } }, "targetResource": { "id": "/subscriptions/*********/resourceGroups/WVD_Res2/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/vD3sk-0/extensions/joindomain", "resourceType": "Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/extensions", "resourceName": "vD3sk-0/joindomain" } }}

The user used to create the pool global.esp@ericperiardoutlook.onmicrosoft.com is a Global Admin + Tenant Creator + AAD DC Administrator all-in-one for my test proof of concept.

I have built an environment successfully once within a day's work, but I pruned all the resource groups and rebuilt-it slowly for documentation purposes and after many many many attempts I have been unsuccessful and get the error above.

Please advise, I am out of troubleshooting options here :\
7 Replies

Thanks @Eva Seydl 

@Eva Seydl thanks for this response.  I've been trying repeatedly to setup a windows virtual desktop host pool in an azure subscription where i only have azure AD and azure AD domain services gc/dc deployed, i.e. not cloud diy vm gc/dc or vnet exposed on-premises classic AD gc/dc setups. 

The wvd host pool template processing kept failing on the host pool vm domain joining step and the fix was https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/troubleshoot-set-up-issues%C2%A0  -> "Cause 3: Your virtual network (VNET) DNS configuration is set to Default." defined fix.

Seems like there should be some wvd host pool template wizard or walk through documentation on this scenario for companies that want wvd but are 100% azure active directory based with their IAM environment. 

Now the wvd host pool template is failing at point with this message:

"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'dscextension'. Error message: "DSC Configuration 'CreateHostPoolAndRegisterSessionHost' completed with error(s). Following are the first few: PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_ScriptResource failed to execute Test-TargetResource functionality with error message: Windows Virtual Desktop Authentication Failed . .  ."

@Rob Ob  

Howzit, so i eventually got my WVD vms to domain join after many frustrating hours. 

I have a lab with a Windows AD DC vm and an AD Connect server (and even built Azure AD DS out of frustration!)

I had repeatedly tried deploying the WVD vms using the Azure Global Admin account and each time it failed. 

I then went and created a different account on Windows AD with Enterprise Admins and used this account. The vms successfully joined using this Windows AD based Enterprise Admin account.

Good luck.  

I'm having the same issues as Eric,  I have a new Azure AD DS domain, and I'm trying to setup WVD ARM.  Once I create the VM, I cannot seem to get it to successfully join the domain.  I have tried the DNS fix, validated the credentials of the vmjoiner account (global admin).  No matter what I do - it fails

"properties": {
        "statusCode": "Conflict",
        "statusMessage": "{\"status\":\"Failed\",\"error\":{\"code\":\"ResourceDeploymentFailure\",\"message\":\"The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.\",\"details\":[{\"code\":\"VMExtensionProvisioningError\",\"message\":\"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'joindomain'. Error message: \\\"Exception(s) occured while joining Domain 'dquin.onmicrosoft.com'\\\"\\r\\n\\r\\nMore information on troubleshooting is available at https://aka.ms/vmextensionwindowstroubleshoot \"}]}}",
        "eventCategory": "Administrative",
        "entity": "/subscriptions/b45ab268-91f4-412c-bc14-5d899771b190/resourcegroups/RG01/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/DQ-0/extensions/joindomain",
        "message": "Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/extensions/write",

@jonmcwilliams when you setup Azure AD DS can you check if the DNS is setup to Azure or to the IP of Azure AD DS? It must be the later

best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution
Can you check the paths here and share the lgos from here

C:\Packages\Plugins\Microsoft.Compute.JsonADDomainExtension
C:\WindowsAzure\Logs\Plugins\Microsoft.Compute.JsonADDomainExtension\1.3.6

Latest run that errors out also the version might be different

Also reading the error what is your DNS server setup on the VNET?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution
Can you check the paths here and share the lgos from here

C:\Packages\Plugins\Microsoft.Compute.JsonADDomainExtension
C:\WindowsAzure\Logs\Plugins\Microsoft.Compute.JsonADDomainExtension\1.3.6

Latest run that errors out also the version might be different

Also reading the error what is your DNS server setup on the VNET?

View solution in original post