Issue with one user logging in

Copper Contributor

We've set up a new Tenant with Azure AD DS and WVD (No Windows DC), the setup itself is for the most part working, however we have one user that cannot log in regardless of what we try. Digging in to the logs here is error.

ErrorSource : RDBroker
ErrorOperation : OrchestrateSessionHost
ErrorCode : -2146233088
ErrorCodeSymbolic : ConnectionFailedUserSIDInformationMismatch
ErrorMessage : OrchestrateAsync: SID value in the database is different than the value returned in the orchestration reply from the agent for user ≤USERNAME≥ with Id
<ID>. This scenario is not supported - we will not be able to redirect the user session.
ErrorInternal : False
ReportedBy : RDGateway
Time : 15/08/2019 3:52:21 PM

I get the same error regardless of using the website or the remote desktop app.

We are using a validation host pool in this configuration. I can create new users and they can connect without an issue but this one user is stuck.

I understand that this error is likely due to an error with this user which has caused an SID mismatch. I have deleted this user (also from the recycle bin), waited overnight and tried again but the user is still blocked. They can sign in directly to the session host using RDP.

Is there anything that I am missing here? How can I recreate this user and update the SID so that I can get this one user to connect, changing their UPN is not an option.

To clarify this is a CLOUD user, not hybrid or synced from on-prem. All we have is Azure AD, Azure AD Domain Services and WVD.
2 Replies

@DJohnsonE2EI have encountered such an issue when I recreated AADDS and a user had been used for WVD in the previous instance. I could not find a solution to the problem though. My thread is at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Virtual-Desktop/WVD-after-re-installing-AAD-DS/m-p/78...

@ChristophB I work with @DJohnsonE2E - what we have ended up doing to keep this project moving is:

Renamed the affected user account (leaving it licensed/active)

Created a new account under a random username, allowed ~20 mins for it to sync into AADDS.

Renamed the new account to the original username we wanted, allowed ~20 mins for the change to sync into AADDS.

Granted the new account access to WVD and then it works and we can delete the affected original user account.

It's absolutely no help if you have an existing account that you can't just rename because you'd have to offboard and migrate that user's Exchange, ODfB etc, but if you're trying to complete proof of concept it's enough until Microsoft resolve this bug.