How to Troubleshoot AVD Client Connection

Copper Contributor

I am an IT guy helping out a nonprofit, but definitely an Azure newb.    Want to setup up AVD for them to host a shared application.    Took multiple iterations to get the Getting Started Wizard to create the environment without failing, but eventually it did without an error.

Now I can't seem to connect to the host using either the web or Windows RDP client.   After it looks like some level of negotiating, I get a "Your credentials did not work" error.  I have used my admin account as well as the test one that was setup during the wizard.    Both accounts have per-user MFA disabled.    I was using my personal (non-AD managed) laptop, but also tried on one that is connected to the AAD of the tenant.

Any ideas on where to look in the console or things to try?    Is there a way to turn on some sort of verbose logging in the client to see where the failure is?

Thanks

8 Replies
Hi Chris, is not very clear. Let me try to understand. You deploy a new host pool (pooled?) that must to connect with a shared application on another vm(is this on azure or onprem?). Anyway seems you a have an issue with the identity than the last questions are: Did you connect to the gateway without problem(where you see all your workspace)? Did you try it with via HTML?

@lilalexMS 

Apologies if I wasn't very clear. My goal is to just install a Windows application on a virtual desktop that can be shared by the nonprofit via remote desktop to the desktop directly or as a application within the application group.

So far I have gone through the Getting Started Wizard within Azure Virtual Desktop. This ran successfully and created the host pool, application group, workspace, and a single VM within the host pool. I am just at a point where I want to RDP into the host. I have subscribed to the workspace and tried to connect within the Remote Desktop Windows client and the web client. In either case (using my credentials or the test ones created during the wizard) I get this error:

Chris_Kilburn_1-1640091748845.png

Not sure where to look to see why it fails to login.    Thank you for your help.

Can you enter on this machine with mstsc with the same user? Is this a pooled or personal enviroment? Is an AAD joined or domain joined?
I didn't think MSTSC worked with Azure Remote Desktop so am using MSRDC to connect. It is pooled and AAD joined.
More clear now.
BTW please check this document https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/deploy-azure-ad-joined-vm and pay attention that: the user must have rbac to access virtual machine and if you try to access from a device that is not AAD joined put this targetisaadjoined:i:1 as custom rdp propreties. Let me know if now works
Thank you. I had added this property to the host pool previously. I didn't have RBAC on the VM so I added it (and restarted the host just in case) for both accounts. Still no go on my personal laptop (non-AAD joined) or another laptop that is AAD-joined. Is there any way I enable logging during the connection attempt to see what is going on? I have seen mention of RDP logging, but I don't know how to enable it.
Do you have MFA enabled on that account?
No, I disabled per-user MFA on my account and verified it's disabled on the test account created by the getting started wizard.