How to install Teams in WVD?

Brass Contributor

I've been trying to install Teams but it won't show up on the WVD Desktops even if I reboot them. 

I'm using the Machine Installer msi same as I deployed to regular computers. 

I also tried running elevated command prompt within one of the virtual desktops and running command and trying "AllUser=1" but I got this: 

Installation has failed: Cannot install for all users when a VDI environment is not detected.

I then tried elevated command prompt just running"
msiexec /i Teams_windows_x64.msi ALLUSERS=1 and that makes it show up in the Add/Remove programs, but I still don't see it on the desktop or in the Start Menu. 

Is there a clear direction to get Teams on there? 

5 Replies

@Jgq85 Think you're doing it correctly, according to the Use Microsoft Teams on Windows Virtual desktop docs page.

Perhaps run the installer with the /l*v flag like they suggest to get the more verbose installer log?

@Jgq85 You have to manually create the following registry key before Teams will let you install in per machine mode.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Teams\IsWVDEnvironment]
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1

Once that exist you should be able to install Teams with the following command

msiexec /i <path_to_msi> /l*v <install_logfile_name> ALLUSER=1 ALLUSERS=1

Dear @Jgq85,

You just have to Download Teams to your downloads folder then run the below commands.

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Teams" /v IsWVDEnvironment /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

cd Downloads
msiexec /i Teams_windows_x64 /l*v teams_install.log ALLUSER=1

2020-04-13 14_53_12-MS-AZ-T0-JMP1.png

Hi @MahmoudAtallah

regarding the Teams installation on WVD, there are maybe more topics as well to consider. I´ve wrote everything down in detail, especially how to handle with Microsoft Teams if the user profile is growing at the first start up to 4GB (while using FSLogix User Profiles) and so on.

The complete guide can be read on my blog, I just released the article: https://wvdlogix.net/complete-guide-teams-on-wvd

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Patrick 

Interesting article 

Thanks for sharing @patrickkoehler

By the way, now Microsoft Teams is now available in preview for Windows Virtual Desktop media optimization 

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/updates/windows-virtual-desktop-media-optimization-for-microsoft-t...