SOLVED

How do I configure WVD to only use one monitor/screen - It always spans all my monitors

Brass Contributor

Using Server 2016 for the session hosts and Windows 10 to connect.

BTW: Is there an up-to-date list of supported settings that I can refer to?

I tried to use the setting "use multimon" on the host pool with the below command and waited over night to ensure any delayed publishing propagation would have occurred. I then connected again with remote desktop but no change. Command I tried is copied below:

PS C:\Users\johan> set-rdshostpool -TenantName "munobia" -Name "pool" -ValidationEnv $true -CustomRdpProperty "use multimon:i:0"

TenantName : munobia
TenantGroupName : Default Tenant Group
HostPoolName : pool
FriendlyName : pool
Description : Created through ARM template
Persistent : False
DiskPath :
EnableUserProfileDisk : False
ExcludeFolderPath :
ExcludeFilePath :
IncludeFilePath :
IncludeFolderPath :
CustomRdpProperty : use multimon:i:0;
MaxSessionLimit : 999999
LoadBalancerType : BreadthFirst
ValidationEnv : True
Ring :

20 Replies

@Johan_Eriksson : We are continuously improving our documentation, and we have the latest, most up-do-date set here: https://docs.microsoft.com/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-app-... .

Did the multi-mon property end up working? From what you've entered, it looks correct.

@Christian_Montoya Thanks for the reply and the link. Yes, I got it to work with that setting in the end.

@Johan_Eriksson Is this when using the Web to connect to the machine? via: https://rdweb.wvd.microsoft.com/webclient/index.html

just curious as I am trying to determine the multiMon use for the web login. 

thanks!

@BigAl144 : Unfortunately, we do not yet support the multi-monitor feature for the webclient yet.

How to do it with Windows Client, it spans all 3 monitors, users are forced to use Web Client.

best response confirmed by Christian_Montoya (Microsoft)
Solution
Set-RdsHostPool -Tenant <tenant name> -Name <host pool name> -CustomRdpProperty 'use multimon:i:0'
Thanks a lot !! It did work the magic.

@FortyMegabytes 

do you just set the value to 1 if you do want multimonitor? The new deskop client form the store does not use multimonitor by default and I need it to? 

@Oliver-76 : Thanks for the follow-up. Two things to note:

1. Windows Virtual Desktop is not officially supported through the Microsoft Remote Desktop application in the Microsoft Store (we are working on it though). Please use the Windows Desktop client.
  2. Regardless, the Microsoft Remote Desktop application in the Microsoft Store inherently has limitations being a Universal Windows App and the framework does not allow multi-monitor. We are working with the larger Windows framework team to enable this.

@Christian_Montoya - Is there a way to control this setting per user?

@Sai Gutta Each user has the ability to override the default setting.  Right-click on the Application Group, choose "Settings", then uncheck "Use default settings" and suddenly will appear a few things each user can customize, including whether to use one monitor or multiple monitors. 

@FortyMegabytes did you have to reboot the servers after this was applied?  A lot of our users are using the RD app for Mac (which in general isn't great) and when they go in windowed mode, it puts their multiple monitors in a window.  Looks awful.  Anyone have any comment if this is a limitation with RD app for Mac?

@stevenzelenko No reboot needed, change happens immediately.

We don't have any Mac clients, so I can't speak as to why they would be doing that.  I do know that you can have your local RD client settings set to override the app group default settings.  So you may want to take a look to see what settings are enabled on those Macs.

@FortyMegabytes  Mac app doesn't have these settings for workspaces.  Only for direct RDP to a VM/PC.

@FortyMegabytes  Set-RdsHostPool -Tenant RevitOnOff -Name VMOnOff -CustomRdpProperty 'use multimon:i:0'

I have tried this but it didnt work, still all screens appears

Or does it take time to prapogate

@Sai Gutta I previously posted that we are now using teh Mac Beta client and it's working better for us.  That being said, the Mac RD client is terrible.

Were you able to scale the monitors with mac client? Last I checked that is not possible
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Christian_Montoya (Microsoft)
Solution
Set-RdsHostPool -Tenant <tenant name> -Name <host pool name> -CustomRdpProperty 'use multimon:i:0'

View solution in original post