Error opening some Excel files using Applications in AVD

Iron Contributor

We are using Microsoft Windows 10 multi session + Microsoft 365 Apps image dated 4/25/2021.

Our requirements are Office 32-bit, and we are using Applications.

Around the middle of July, we started receiving an error opening some Excel files in OneDrive.

We have close to 400 users using AVD with the Office 365 E3 license.

Microsoft Excel
Sorry we couldn't open 'https://company-my.sharepoint.com/personal/username/Documents/filename.xlsx'.

Click OK button

Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Excel cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Username\OneDrive - Company\filename.xlsx'. There are several possible reasons:
The file name or path does not exist.
The file is being used by another program.
The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a current open workbook.

If I open the Excel file on my local computer with OneDrive, no error.

If I open the Excel file Online in O365, no error.

If I open the Excel file using the Default Desktop, no error.

It seems to only occur when using the applications in AVD.

Our workaround is to make a copy of the Excel file that has the error and then we can open that copy.

The error does not happen with all Excel files. The files with trouble do not have any features enabled, are all .XLSX format.

I did open a ticket with the Microsoft Tech, and he had me rename this folder to -old “C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office” which seemed to work until I logged in the next day, then had the same error.

Has anyone else seen this error or have any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks,

Denise

5 Replies
We are facing the exact same problem with a customer who has three hosts. Have you found a solution to the problem?

I've actually been able to reproduce the issue like this: I create an Excel-file (or Word-file) using a test user where the session is hosted on say AVD-0.
As long as the session is hosted on AVD-0 everything is fine. When I log the test user off and force a new session to be hosted on AVD-1 or AVD-2 (by using drain mode) the issue occurs.
So it looks like you can only open the file if the session is hosted on the AVD-host where the file is created.
We are also able to open the files on local computers with OneDrive.

I haven't openend a ticket yet. But "glad" to hear that we are not alone in facing this issue.

Best regards
Jonas
We are seeing the same problem. Started happening july 20.
Did you ever manage to resolve this properly (without continuously having to clear the office cache)? We are facing the same issue and think it might have something to do with FSLogix. Thanks in advance for your reply!
For us the problem was resolved with an updated version of OneDrive. We did replace our AVD image with a newer version of Windows 10 multi-session from the Marketplace too. Along with that we updated FSLogix.