SOLVED

Error deploying WVD to a subscription

Brass Contributor

I've tried three different deployments in the Azure portal for WVD.  I keep getting the same error after VM creation and domain join:

{"code":"DeploymentFailed","message":"At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-debug for usage details.","details":[{"code":"Conflict","message":"{\r\n \"status\": \"Failed\",\r\n \"error\": {\r\n \"code\": \"ResourceDeploymentFailure\",\r\n \"message\": \"The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.\",\r\n \"details\": [\r\n {\r\n \"code\": \"VMExtensionProvisioningError\",\r\n \"message\": \"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'dscextension'. Error message: \\\"DSC Configuration 'FirstSessionHost' completed with error(s). Following are the first few: PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_ScriptResource failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: One or more errors occurred. The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.\\\".\"\r\n }\r\n ]\r\n }\r\n}"}]}

Has anyone seen this?  I have tried using the AAD credentials method for tenantAdminUPN (instead of using a service principal) for all three.  Has anyone had success using this method?  Or should I just try the route of SPN instead.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

42 Replies

@jaycrumpgp : We've heard similar feedback of folks trying to deploy. We recently update the documentation to suggest the service principal route, as it will work in all cases. You can see the updated steps/guide over at https://aka.ms/wvdpreview . Please let us know if that ends up working for you and your environment.

@Christian_Montoya 

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.  Although now I'm seeing the same 'template URL' error that others are seeing and have posted here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Virtual-Desktop/Template-validation-error-when-creati... 

@Christian_Montoya 

and......a different error trying to create pool via shell now.  What is up with the random errors.

When I try to run 'new-rdsregistrationinfo' cmdlet and point to a path on my desktop I am getting 'access to the path c:\users\blahblah\desktop is denied'.

@jaycrumpgp : I'm uncertain on the "New-RdsRegistrationInfo" error...if you have personal information, I'd be happy to follow up on private messages.

Regarding the URL error, we are actively working on resolving the Azure Marketplace offering. In the meantime, you can use our GitHub ARM Template to create and provision the host pool: https://github.com/Azure/RDS-Templates/tree/master/wvd-templates/Create%20and%20provision%20WVD%20ho... 

@Christian_Montoya 

Thanks.  I tried the custom template from GitHub and get this:

{"code":"ValidationError","message":"Error validating template","details":[{"message":"Value 'wvd_uk_may-0' used in property 'name' of resource 'wvd_uk_may-0' (microsoft.compute/virtualmachines) is invalid. You may need to edit the template to fix this issue.Virtual machine name cannot contain non ASCII or special characters, must contain at least one alphabet, and must be between 1 and 15 characters.","code":"ClientSideValidationError"}]}

@Christian_Montoya- Oh, and regarding the new-rdsregistrationinfo, I was trying this method and got to that command and hit the error I mentioned above (access denied writing the registration token to a file).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/create-host-pools-powershell 

@jaycrumpgp : The name limitations are for Azure VMs, unfortunately.

Also, I'm not exactly sure on why the piping would hit permission errors on files.

best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

@jaycrumpgp : The Azure Marketplace offering is now resolved and you should be able to test again!

@Christian_MontoyaThanks!  I'll give it a shot later this evening.

@Christian_MontoyaWORKS!!!  Thanks so much.

@jaycrumpgp : Glad to hear it! Thanks again for testing and for being patient as we addressed the temporary issue!

@Christian_Montoya 

I now unfortunately am seeing an error.  After deployment I was able to log in yesterday evening to my one session host and things looked good.  I went back a little later after starting another deployment of a different regional pool - to try to log into the RDP client, and get the attached error.wvd-error.JPG

Also, on the second pool I was trying to deploy I'm seeing this during the dreaded DSC extension step:

{"code":"DeploymentFailed","message":"At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-debug for usage details.","details":[{"code":"Conflict","message":"{\r\n \"status\": \"Failed\",\r\n \"error\": {\r\n \"code\": \"ResourceDeploymentFailure\",\r\n \"message\": \"The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.\",\r\n \"details\": [\r\n {\r\n \"code\": \"VMExtensionProvisioningError\",\r\n \"message\": \"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'dscextension'. Error message: \\\"The DSC Extension failed to execute: Error downloading https://catalogartifact.azureedge.net/publicartifacts/rds.wvd-provision-host-pool-8f893fe9-5016-43c6... after 29 attempts: Unable to connect to the remote server.\\nMore information about the failure can be found in the logs located under 'C:\\\\WindowsAzure\\\\Logs\\\\Plugins\\\\Microsoft.Powershell.DSC\\\\2.77.0.0' on the VM.\\\".\"\r\n }\r\n ]\r\n }\r\n}"}]}

Should I just wait both of these errors out?  Or is there anything to try on either?  Thanks.

@Christian_Montoya 

I just tried a redeployment of my second pool, and get this second error that references the artifacts location.  I'll hold here until you can reply.  Thank you.

{"telemetryId":"f7b3be80-a62d-40d9-a87c-7dc573e28d69","bladeInstanceId":"Blade_f939d9af4c5b4480b9628166c4d08424_162_0","galleryItemId":"Microsoft.Template","createBlade":"DeployToAzure","code":"InvalidTemplate","message":"Deployment template validation failed: 'The template resource '_artifactsLocation' at line '88' and column '31' is not valid: The language expression property 'templateLink' doesn't exist, available properties are 'template, templateHash, parameters, mode, debugSetting, provisioningState'.. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-template-expressions for usage details.'."}

@jaycrumpgp : Unfortunately, you will need to go back through the Azure Marketplace to redeploy, as opposed to going back to the completed (successful or failed) deployment and hit RedployThis seems to be an artifact of the change required for Azure Marketplace.

@jaycrumpgp : Did you change anything regarding your Azure AD setup? Or did you assign the appropriate user? These are my immediate thoughts on the dialog error.

For the ARM template error, can you try again? Sometimes there's temporary network glitches when the Azure Marketplace pulls the source information.

@Christian_Montoya 

Hi Christian - no, no changes to my Azure AD, and the only user that exists in the 'desktop application group' for that pool that worked briefly is my own UPN.

How do I remove a pool?  I guess I can just start over, but this is what I get when I try to remove the pool that briefly worked (and the command to do so isn't in the documentation that I've seen - just had to guess a bit).  Note the error....the user I am trying to run 'remove-rdshostpool' with is literally the same account that created the pool, and has 'tenant creator' role:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-RdsHostPool
cmdlet Get-RdsHostPool at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
(Type !? for Help.)
TenantName: GPWVD

TenantName        : GPWVD
TenantGroupName   : Default Tenant Group
HostPoolName      : GPWVDUK
FriendlyName      :
Description       :
Persistent        : False
CustomRdpProperty :
MaxSessionLimit   : 999999
LoadBalancerType  : BreadthFirst
ValidationEnv     : False
Ring              :

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Remove-RdsHostPool GPWVDUK
cmdlet Remove-RdsHostPool at command pipeline position 1
(Type !? for Help.)
Name: GPWVDUK
Remove-RdsHostPool : User is not authorized to query the management service.
ActivityId: ac797e31-1668-47c0-a092-ec8103cbaff4
Powershell commands to diagnose the failure:
Get-RdsDiagnosticActivities -ActivityId ac797e31-1668-47c0-a092-ec8103cbaff4
At line:1 char:1
+ Remove-RdsHostPool GPWVDUK
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : FromStdErr: (Microsoft.RDInf...moveRdsHostPool:RemoveRdsHostPool) [Remove-RdsHostPool], RdsPowerShellException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccess,Microsoft.RDInfra.RDPowershell.HostPool.RemoveRdsHostPool
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

@Christian_Montoya 

HI Christian, sure I'll give that a shot (starting over instead of 're-deploy'), but I'm pretty sure I tried that as well.  I kept getting that same new/strange DSCExtension error.

@jaycrumpgp @Christian_Montoya -

Alright, nevermind on my question regarding removing a host pool.  I had to remove individual underlying pieces within the pool first.  I'll try another ARM deployment again some time today:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Remove-RdsHostPool -Name GPWVDUK
(Type !? for Help.)
Remove-RdsHostPool : The HostPoolName GPWVDUK could not be deleted because it still has SessionHosts associated with it. Please remove all SessionHosts from the SessionHostPool and retry the operation.
ActivityId: edd7e049-f8ac-4c2c-831f-b151adbda2fe
Get-RdsDiagnosticActivities -ActivityId edd7e049-f8ac-4c2c-831f-b151adbda2fe
+ Remove-RdsHostPool -Name GPWVDUK
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : FromStdErr: (Microsoft.RDInf...moveRdsHostPool:RemoveRdsHostPool) [Remove-RdsHostPool], RdsPowerShellException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HostPoolCannotBeRemovedHasSessionHosts,Microsoft.RDInfra.RDPowershell.HostPool.RemoveRdsHostPool
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-RdsSessionHost
cmdlet Get-RdsSessionHost at command pipeline position 1
(Type !? for Help.)
HostPoolName: GPWVDUK

SessionHostName    : GPWVDUK-0.xxx
TenantName         : GPWVD
TenantGroupName    : Default Tenant Group
HostPoolName       : GPWVDUK
AllowNewSession    : True
Sessions           : 0
LastHeartBeat      : 6/3/2019 10:06:16 AM
AgentVersion       : 1.0.668.1
AssignedUser       :
OsVersion          : 10.0.17763
SxSStackVersion    : rdp-sxs190429002
Status             : Available
UpdateState        : Succeeded
LastUpdateTime     : 5/30/2019 10:33:39 PM
UpdateErrorMessage :

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Remove-RdsSessionHost -SessionHostName GPWVDUK-0.genphysics.com
cmdlet Remove-RdsSessionHost at command pipeline position 1
(Type !? for Help.)
(Type !? for Help.)
Remove-RdsHostPool : The HostPoolName GPWVDUK could not be deleted because it still has ApplicationGroups associated with it. Please remove all ApplicationGroups from the SessionHostPool and retry the operation.
ActivityId: 5a14774e-ecdc-48d0-9cd7-f7ef336cb1a0
Get-RdsDiagnosticActivities -ActivityId 5a14774e-ecdc-48d0-9cd7-f7ef336cb1a0
+ Remove-RdsHostPool -Name GPWVDUK
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HostPoolCannotBeRemovedHasApplicationGroups,Microsoft.RDInfra.RDPowershell.HostPool.RemoveRdsHostPool
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-RdsAppGroup
cmdlet Get-RdsAppGroup at command pipeline position 1
(Type !? for Help.)

TenantGroupName : Default Tenant Group
TenantName      : GPWVD
HostPoolName    : GPWVDUK
AppGroupName    : Desktop Application Group
Description     : The default desktop application group for the session host pool
FriendlyName    : Desktop Application Group
ResourceType    : Desktop

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Remove-RdsAppGroup -AppGroupName "Desktop Application Group"
cmdlet Remove-RdsAppGroup at command pipeline position 1
(Type !? for Help.)
(Type !? for Help.)
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

@jaycrumpgp @Christian_Montoya 

I was able to remove my existing pool that was giving me an error upon login.  I've created a new pool via ARM deployment - with success this time.  I made sure to add my own regular user UPN a member of the Desktop Application Group.  When I try to log in via the RDP client, I am getting the same error I was seeing previously - see attached.  I am not sure where to go from here....thanks.

WVD-login-error.JPG

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

@jaycrumpgp : The Azure Marketplace offering is now resolved and you should be able to test again!

View solution in original post