Disabling Local Drive redirection in WVD

Copper Contributor

As far as I can tell to disable local drive redirection in the WVD client you need to run:

Set-RdsHostPool -TenantName "TenantName" -Name "HostGroupName" -CustomRdpProperty "drivestoredirect:s"

Here's the output of Get-RdsHostPool after running this:

TenantName : <TenantName>
TenantGroupName : Default Tenant Group
HostPoolName : <HostPool>
FriendlyName : <HostPool>
Description : Created through ARM template
Persistent : False
CustomRdpProperty : drivestoreredirect:s:;
MaxSessionLimit : 999999
LoadBalancerType : BreadthFirst
ValidationEnv : False
Ring :
AssignmentType :

But on logging into the desktop, in my case a Windows 10 multi-session image the local drives are still displayed.

Is what I've done above correct, or is there a better way to accomplish this via GPO etc?

7 Replies

@cwljack Did you ever resolve this issue?  We are experiencing same.

@_new_man_ Yes but didn't use the WVD PowerShell command in the end, as it didn't work for me.

Had to add it via a group policy, here "Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Device and Resource Redirection". 

Then enabling the Do not allow drive redirection group policy setting, and linking that to the OU with the WVD Session host computer accounts.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for replying!  Yes, that does help me.  We were able to disable using your resolution below.  I was trying to avoid GPO and just do a quick command in WVD but that wasn't working.  Thanks again.  @cwljack 

@_new_man_ 

I got this working with the following, I think you just missed a colon from your customrdpproperty:

$property =  "drivestoredirect:s:;"

Set-RdsHostPool -TenantName "tenant" -HostPoolName FullDesktop -CustomRdpProperty $property

@cwljack  do you have any idea why the RDP settings in the Azure Portal for that WVD Host Pool are being ignored? Have you ever found the root cause? May it be related to that the WVD Host VM has been moved out of the "AADDC Computers" OU?

@cwljack 
I recognize this is a year old post and we're talking about a very different WVD now. but...

FWIW, I think using a GPO to override, or "fix", a setting that should work should be an unnecessary patch.  i.e. why would they present the toggle if it doesn't do anything?

In my case, I found two things.  First was I couldn't see the settings change in the properties.  I had it set to disable drive mapping, but the 'advanced' properties page didn't show it.  So I disabled it, saved, enabled it, saved and it appeared.

However, it still didn't work, and I ended up seeing display settings also not work.  By not work I mean I didn't see a difference when I opened the RDP session.  This got me thinking that it was kind of like the local mstsc properties were in control.  That mstsc configuration is delivered by the feed in the RDP Client app.

Refreshing the feed in the remote desktop app got me my new settings, and the properties I'd configured are now in effect.

Kind of got to that embarrassing point of 'duh', but if you're forehead is as bruised as mine was, hopefully this little insight might help someone. 

thanks mate. This works for Windows 365 Cloud PC's.
I've deployed Intune configuration policies to deny clipboard in/out of the RDP session and redirected folders to local drive - no matter if you are using the web browser or RDP client to access the Cloud PC.

Wish there was more documentation on it all...