SOLVED

Different between Windows Virtual Desktop and Client Application Assignments in Azure AD

Brass Contributor

Can someone explain the difference of these two apps in AD?  It seems like at some point today something changed and I have to set my test users to be Tenant Creators in the Windows Virtual Desktop Application to use the web URL.  Adding users to the client app seems to do nothing.  We've had no issue with the windows and mac RDP apps using the web feed URLs.  Unless this is what we have to do for the time being but it just seems a little confusing.

And I don't know if I'm missing something but I can only deploy apps and desktops per UPN and cannot apply a security group.  Would be nice to have the app groups set up to look for a security group and simply adding the users to the group in AD and when things sync up, you have your apps.

44 Replies
I am trying to automate the addition of users to the enterprise app using :

New-AzureADUserAppRoleAssignment -ObjectId $user.ObjectId -PrincipalId $user.ObjectId -ResourceId $servicePrincipal.ObjectId -Id ([Guid]::Empty)

However I get the following :

New-AzureADUserAppRoleAssignment : Error occurred while executing NewUserAppRoleAssignment
Code: Request_BadRequest
Message: Permission being assigned was not found on application

When I get the service principal :
AppRoleAssignmentRequired : True
AppRoles : {}

So this does not make any sense to me :(
There are no roles so why would this fail?

@AT1991 : Why are you adding the users to the Enterprise App? If it's for user access, we don't use the Enterprise App for that, we use our Windows Virtual Desktop PowerShell: https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/virtual-desktop/manage-app-groups

Because for some reason without it, a few of our users were not able to log in via the desktop client. Adding them resolved the issue

@AT1991 We had this exact same thing happen to us too.  Turn off the "User Assignment Required" toggle in the WVD apps in Azure.  You should only need to add the users via powershell.

stevenzelenko_0-1583428407181.png

Awesome! I will give it a go. Thank you.