SOLVED

Device Strategy for WVD (Windows 10) Deployment

Brass Contributor

I haven't heard about any thin clients having native support to WVD yet so I'm curious around the strategy customers are using from a device standpoint to access the WVD environment.

Using hosted RDS, we overwhelmingly use thin clients to keep device costs down and minimize the ongoing management of the device (compared to a standard Windows workstation) but without thin client, it adds the added layer of management and related complexity/cost.

And while I know WVD is still in public preview, I know we're rapidly approaching the anticipated GA gate and need to understand what a good long-term option is (for customers that want to get started right now - even in preview). Thanks!

6 Replies

@Justin Coffey I'm curious about this too. I haven't seen anything specific, but it seems to lend itself to being a thin browser based client (ala Chromebook) that could be configure to point directly at the WVD Gateway for the HTML5 client.  I remember there being something like that several years ago, but it has been a while since I looked.

Do you think something like that would make sense or do think a tradition thin client would be required?

best response confirmed by David Belanger (Microsoft)
Solution

@KitSMFX Found my answer.

Thin clients running Windows 10 IoT Enterprise x64 is supported using the new WVD client (available at aka.ms/wvd/clients/windows). A x32 WVD client does not exist but is expected by November at the latest.

Windows 10 IoT Core does not have any support today but the team is looking into it.

Linux does not have native support but a SDK exists but will rely on partners to create them. Alternatively, the HTML 5 is a workaround.

@Justin Coffey 

I am coming this topic currently and finding it very difficult to find relevant information on how this will actually work. If you purchase a Dell Wyse 5070 it autosigns into 'user' and this is find when using RDS but with WVD the end user has to sign into the App. If another user comes along they have to sign that user out of the app and then they sign in. So if you join the device to Azure AD each user can have their own login but then the local disk is going to get full with all these user profile.

@elliottchandler 
IGEL Technology (where i happen to work) has IGEL OS, linux operating system, which allows you to reinstall existing endpoints and benefit features like the one you are asking for. IGEL OS has a native WVD linux client and can be user on for instance Dell 5070.

Here is how one way to do user roaming on IGEL OS: https://youtu.be/JRCNEKbV-SE

Best
Fredrik

Uploaded by Fredrik Brattstig on 2020-08-31.

@Brattstig Looks interesting.

@Justin Coffey 

Hi,

We've successfully deployed WVD with PCoIP Zero Clients. 

PCoIP Zero Clients (teradici.com)

What is PCoIP (teradici.com)

Regards,

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David Belanger (Microsoft)
Solution

@KitSMFX Found my answer.

Thin clients running Windows 10 IoT Enterprise x64 is supported using the new WVD client (available at aka.ms/wvd/clients/windows). A x32 WVD client does not exist but is expected by November at the latest.

Windows 10 IoT Core does not have any support today but the team is looking into it.

Linux does not have native support but a SDK exists but will rely on partners to create them. Alternatively, the HTML 5 is a workaround.

View solution in original post