SOLVED

Consistent Thin Client Disconnection from WVD Pool

Copper Contributor

Hello we have been experiencing some random but consistent disconnects from our WVD Pool. We have roughly 10 users and have been getting different event viewer logs for when they disconnect. We have Thin Clients on Windows 10 version 1607. When the users disconnect it will happen multiple times per day, however some days they do not disconnect. Attached are the event viewer logs

148 Replies
I also see no problems at the moment. MS replied to me that capacity is added, and the other "not able to connect issue" is also resolved.

Powershell diagnostics are still disabled, but will be enabled again at a later moment.

So far, so good. Glad that MS added capacity!

@Marco Brouwer 

Same here, users are happy again!

Speed is up to normal, logins via rdweb work again, hopefully no disconnects from now on!

Also the same here. No problems today.

Disconnects persist apparently!

@knowlite @swalra @Marco Brouwer thanks for the feedback, please let us know if the experience changes over time. 

Seems like the issue is not just with West Europe but East US 2 as well. Users have reported random disconnects. I have raised a support ticket with MS.
West Europe sees this too. It is extremely slow as of this morning.

@Lyooba 

I have at this moment no problems and i haven't heard that other people in my company have issues. At this momemt so far so good.  Our sessionhosts are running in West Europe.

@swalra It's tolerable right now, but two hours ago, took ages to sign in, also for a host to appear in RDWeb. RDH was so slow it was pain to even navigate through a mapped drive on Azure files... 

@Lyooba 

So far so good for us. We are running 2 customers on WVD by now, both work fine this morning:

2020-03-24_09-20-32.png

@Marco Brouwer 

Same here, all of our customers have good performance:

wvd.JPG

@Lyooba @roneps07 

Seems fine here as well. Just some troubleshooting steps I would take.

1) Establish what end-point you are going to: Ping rdweb.wvd.microsoft.com and see which IP address it is resolving to. I use this website to find out where that IP is located: https://www.iplocation.net/. DNS issues may make you bounce to a further away end-point. If you want to check other end-points I use this website: https://dnschecker.org/

2) Download and install Psping: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psping

3) Run the following command. You can pipe out to a file for logging purposes: psping -t rdweb.wvd.microsoft.com:443

4) Run the following command as a baseline to see if you don't have local/internet issues: psping -t 8.8.8.8

When we had major issues in the West EU region you always saw spikes on the psping to the Rdweb and not to your baseline. Are you experiencing the same? Or do you have consistent low pings without spikes and are still seeing performance issues?

@XxArkayxX thank you for the detailed steps.

The issue is quite random. It happens for a few seconds. I have not been able to observe the pattern yet. Most of the users use remote apps so they might not notice the disconnection. However handful of the users who use virtual desktop have reported this couple of times. 
There is one doubt I would like to get clarified. Once the connection is created between the RD Client and the session host(WVD) machine, does the rdweb really come into the picture? I may be missing something. 

@roneps07 

You never establish a direct connection to the WVD machine(s). Your connection remains tunneled through rdweb.wvd.microsoft.com. Unless if you manually open specific ports and bypass the WVD Gateway there is no direct path to your WVD machine(s).

Disconnections from RDS or WVD are notoriously difficult to troubleshoot. There are plenty of reasons for disconnections. I suggest running the tools I said earlier on computers that are experiencing the issues. Then just wait till it happens so you can pinpoint who or what's to blame. I really wish someone would write a small WVD Health tool that provides this data in an easy to install format. Now it's pretty labourintensive to troubleshoot. Something like: https://bramwolfs.com/2020/03/11/connection-experience-indicator-for-rds-wvd/ but then a tool that runs on the client side instead of within the session.

@roneps07 In any gateway environment (WVD or RDS) all traffic from the client is passed to the Gateway (via port 443) and them from the gateway to the host. There is no direct connection between the client and host.

@oiab_nl 

Hi all, are you still experiencing disconnect issues?

Our customer is complaining again about random disconnects.

Greets, Marco

@Marco Brouwer 

We have an open ticket from a customer with disconnects today, good to know that other people have them also.

@oiab_nl 

We also had customers reporting issues this monring. Seems to have normalised and didn't have any latency/disconnects since I ran psping -t rdweb.wvd.microsoft.com:443 about an hour ago.

My client was having issues as well with disconnects. Raised a ticket with Microsoft but haven't made any progress with it so far. It would be great to have a WVD chat where users can report disconnects in real time to see if other admins are seeing a similar issue. Azure Status board is pretty rubbish in terms of reporting potential issues.

@ritchnet 

Or even more ideal, some sort of external monitoring tool that runs a continuous ping: psping -t rdweb.wvd.microsoft.com:443

Then form a performance/packet loss graph to indicate failures.

Ofcourse we can all set this up individually (testing is dependant on the local connection as well) but I guess it could be useful to have a simple public website for such purposes. 

Same goes for O365 Exchange online. Performance has been below par since Corona but there's no external monitoring for performance that I'm aware of. Individual and local test and monitoring software exists, but no public one that I'm aware of.