Can't change ownership/permissions on Azure fileshare

Copper Contributor

Hello MS Community,

im trying to create a fileshare for my MSIX-packaged application.

So far i've created the storage account and file share and made it available as a network location on my Azure-hosted Windows 11 VM.

When i try to change the ownership/permissions for the fileshare (Properties -> Security) i cant add my Azure admin account.

The Azure account has the roles "global administrator" for Azure - And "owner" / "smb elevated rights" for the storage account & fileshare.

When i try to add my admin account as a owner of the fileshare in Windows i run into the following error:

Screenshot_66.png

Screenshot_71.png

Trying to add my admin account via "advanced -> change owner" results in the same error.

If you have any ideas please let me know :)

Thanks!

1 Reply
You can only edit the NTFS permissions at the top level when you are using the mapped drive with the SAS key, anything else under that you should be able to edit using your Azure AD account that's in the Elevated SMB Contributor group. Try to map the drive using a SAS key and try that.

* Storage File Data SMB Share **Reader** allows read access in Azure Storage file shares over SMB.
* Storage File Data SMB Share **Contributor** allows read, write, and delete access in Azure Storage file shares over SMB.
* Storage File Data SMB Share **Elevated Contributor** allows read, write, delete, and modify Windows ACLs in Azure Storage file shares over SMB