SOLVED

Camera does not work on Teams with media optimizations installed

Iron Contributor

Camera does not work in Teams running on Windows 10 AVD with media optimisations installed. I can see the camera feed with the Windows Camera app. However, in Teams client, it just shows a white screen. Speakers and Microphone work without any problems.

Anyone encountered this issue before.

27 Replies

The same problem with all our pools of AVD - yesterday MS Teams camera redirection down. Updating MS Teams till the new version- no luck. Can some one comments -what has happened?
Actually its our production environment and we paid for it -(

@Dzmitry_Khadyka  @Gurdev Singh 

Same Problem for us, doesnt matter if new Teams Version or the old one which worked before a reimage....

@Gurdev Singh Exactly the same here, tried Mac, Windows clients, beta clients and three different AVD environments across three tenants. Some of which haven't been touched for weeks. Happened over the weekend i think.

Same for us from at least Monday (NZ time). Also tried many configurations with no success. Can see on the client device the Remote Desktop App does not appear to attempt to access the camera, however you can see it accessing location and mic ok.
On AVD it shows the name of the camera, just no video. So must have some visibility. We are still in pilot but intend to use exclusively in AVD for all stuff so this is concerning. Mostly the fact I couldn't find anything online or in 365/azure status areas.

@Gurdev SinghI noticed during testing that it still works when using the store app version of the remote desktop client. Using the MSI installed version, the camera was indeed broken.

@MrR0b3rt The store app is severla months old unfortunately so we can't really use that as it is missing many features.

@planetwilson That's unfortunate! Perhaps other people can/want to use it as a work around though.

Not sure from when the version is, but I have version 10.2.3000 (which is not listed in the changelog as far as I can see). Just out of curiosity, what features are you missing?

@MrR0b3rt Everything from the changelogs or each of them:-

Store app:- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/windows-whats...

Direct download app:- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/windowsdeskto...

It is 18 months old at this point, the fixes since then cover a whole host of capabilities. MS advised us not to use it.

@planetwilson, thanks for sharing, I am aware of that page. According to that page it is very old indeed, but I seem to have a newer version that is not listed on that page.

@Gurdev Singh We have the same issues and just did an image update at the weekend so thought it might have been related to that so wastes yesterday trying to fix this until finally coming across this post today.

As there have been multiple reports of this it would have been good if Microsoft would have informed us that this was a know issue considering we logged a perm ticket with them for support.

Hi

Starting today, Teams Camera redirection has broken for us as well at a site. Anybody know what's happening?

I suggest that anyone experiencing this raises a ticket with Microsoft, that way it will start to get visibility internally. I have pointed the support person handling my ticket to this thread but the more tickets raised the better.

I raised the issue via the Office 365 portal which means it might end up with a Teams team, might be worth doing via Azure to get the AVD folks involved. I am not sure where the issue lies.

Same issue here, anyone spoken with MS about this yet?
Can't see any official status updates to reflect this outage, but no changes to our environment and Camera unavailable in Teams. Teams recognises the device is connected as well!
We have the same since Monday morning (UK Time) affecting our Production environment.

Camera on Teams client on Win10 AVD does not work
Camera on Teams web on Win10 AVD works
We are running Microsoft Remote Desktop app version 1.2.3401.0

Hopeful that Microsoft comes out with a solution soon

@Dzmitry_Khadyka we have found that the issues happens with any rdp client newer than RemoteDesktop v1.2.2223.0 .
Confirmed issues also only affects optimised team and where this is not installed camera works ok.

We have had a couple of successes by running the teams fix script that i believe deletes all the teams user app data but this has only worked for a couple of users.

Also in case it helps anyone, we were also updating our base image at the weekend and as part of this deployed new hosts, randomly mid morning a number of these started showing unavailable. MS suggested something about an RDP client update on this side that might have caused this, they came back after a while on their own, almost like some service had finished installing.
At the time i thought the message had been relayed wrong as could see how the rdp client would have affected host availability but might have some relents in relation to this issues as suggest MS are aware of some changes that have gone through on the host environment   

A client of ours reported this last Friday 9/2. They were hoping an updated golden image would have solved this. I was unaware of this issue  until today 9/6. They are using the Windows Desktop client and the camera redirection for zoom works.

I can successfully get my local camera to work using the Windows Store Remote Desktop app but that is lacking features as other users on this thread stated. 

best response confirmed by Gurdev Singh (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Appears fixed now 7/9 - just had to close and reopen Teams in AVD.
saw the advisory and resolution in azure. however it shows it was raised in there 24 hours ago, however it did not show for me when I last checked 12 hours ago. suddenly it shows a full history. Quite annoying although it was a known issue it did not show it until it was resolved.

Once again as we intend to use this feature exclusively for all our staff it is concerning the lack of communication.

@PaulStirling Working for me now too but I can't see any advisory in Azure.

sorry is under Microsoft 365 https://portal.office.com/adminportal/home?#/servicehealth/history see ID TM426271

September 7, 2022 10:26 AM
Title: Users can't start a Microsoft Teams video call when utilizing the Azure Virtual Desktop or Windows 365

User impact: Users couldn't start a Microsoft Teams video call when utilizing the Azure Virtual Desktop or Windows 365.

More info: As a workaround, affected users could've successfully utilized teams.microsoft.com in lieu of Azure Virtual Desktop or Windows 365.

Current status: We've identified that a configuration change intended to archive past overlapping changes resulted in a feature flag being disabled, resulting in impact. We've applied a fix to re-enable the feature flag and we've verified via monitoring and with affected users that this action successfully resolved the problem.

Scope of impact: Your organization was affected by this event, and any user of Azure Virtual Desktop and Windows 365 starting Microsoft Teams video calls was impacted.

Start time: Friday, September 2, 2022, 9:35 PM (9:35 AM UTC)

End time: Wednesday, September 7, 2022, 9:10 AM (9/6/2022, 9:10 PM UTC)

Root cause: A configuration change intended to archive past overlapping changes resulted in a feature flag being disabled, resulting in impact.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gurdev Singh (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Appears fixed now 7/9 - just had to close and reopen Teams in AVD.
saw the advisory and resolution in azure. however it shows it was raised in there 24 hours ago, however it did not show for me when I last checked 12 hours ago. suddenly it shows a full history. Quite annoying although it was a known issue it did not show it until it was resolved.

Once again as we intend to use this feature exclusively for all our staff it is concerning the lack of communication.

View solution in original post