Block outdated AVD clients

Iron Contributor

Considering the AVD usage in BYOD context where end users use the remote desktop client to connect to AVD from their own personal devices. Is it possible to block outdated AVD clients from connecting to AVD service? Using Conditional Access, we can define the platforms allowed to connect but not the version of OS or the version of client being used.

We could use Intune MDM to check the device OS version but we don't want to enroll personal devices. Is there any other way it could be possible?

2 Replies
Hmmm, the only thing I can think of is to enrol those devices into Intune and then create a custom compliance policy which is in preview to check for the version of the AVD client installed onto their devices, other than that I can't think of any other way, be interested to know if you come up with anything though. To be fair, the AVD client by default does auto update itself on Windows devices so it shouldn't be too much of an issue I wouldn't of thought?

Here's the link to Intune custom compliance policies if you're interested: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/protect/compliance-use-custom-settings
Thanks @Durrante...yep, completely agree what you have said. I don't think it is possible without MDM/MAM management of the device.