Azure AD Join - Supported Configurations

Copper Contributor

I'm currently looking into setting up an environment that would consist of AVD Session Hosts that are running Windows 11 Enterprise Multi-Session in their own Host Pools and are Azure AD Domain Joined. Ideal scenario is that we do not require Active Directory Domain Services for this solution, management will be handled solely using Azure AD, Intune and Microsoft Endpoint Manager. User Profiles will be delivered using FSLogix from an Azure Storage Account (preferred) or Locally-Stored.

My question however, is the "Supported Configurations" that are mentioned in the documentation. The use-case we have above would be Pooled Desktops that are Azure AD Joined but the article states that only configurations as a Jumpbox or where-by no Data is stored on the machine are supported. Why isn't it supported to have Data/Apps on an AVD Session Host that's AADJ?

General File Data (Word, Excel, PDFs etc) can be located on SharePoint but Applications need to be installed on the AVD Session Host and some need to store data on the Virtual Machine for them to work. What's not supported about this?

2 Replies

@jmann3627 

I assume thats an unsupported configuration, as no Profile Management (FSLogix) is implemented in that scenario. If you are using Pooled Desktops without FSLogix, every user that connects to a desktop gets a local profile for each Desktop.

This way you are having inconsitent user profiles as your users will sometimes be connected to different Session Hosts and wouldn't be able to access the data within their local user profile on the previous Session Host they were connected to, initially.

Depending on the applications you plan to install, they will save data within the user profile.

Assuming that you have synced users within your Azure AD, you would need to implement FSLogix to be in a supported scenario, having your users saving data within their FSLogix profile containers.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/virtual-desktop/create-profile-container-azure-ad

That would be the following supported configuration mentioned in the Microsoft Docs (Azure AD-joined):

- Personal or pooled desktops with FSLogix user profiles with synced users from Active Directory.

At least thats my understanding on why that scenario isn't supported.

Thank you for such a detailed response, this is much clearer to me now. With our particular scenario we would only ever provision a single AVD Session Host per Customer, so technically Local User Profiles would be feasible? At least in the short-term until Microsoft fully support Azure AD Authentication for FSLogix Profiles without the need for AD DS.