SOLVED

AVD Scaling Plans MUST Be in the Same Region as Host Pool

Microsoft

[Updated 8/15/22]

Hello Tech Community,

If you are using AVD's Autoscale public preview feature, please note that you cannot assign a scaling plan in one region to a host pool in another region because of an ARM restriction. If you currently have a scaling plan assigned to a host pool in a different region, please unassign the scaling plan and recreate it in the host pool region. We have sent out service health alerts and updated our documentation to call out that this is no longer allowed.

AVD is working to support scaling plans in additional regions to ease this process. This post will be used to track progress on rolling out to more regions and track any questions that come up.

Currently, scaling plans are available in the following regions:

• Australia East
  • Canada Central
  • Canada East
  • Central US
  • East US
  • East US 2
  • Japan East
  • North Central US
  • North Europe
  • South Central US
  • UK South
  • UK West
  • West Central US
  • West Europe
  • West US
  • West US 2
  • West US 3

Thank you for your patience and support in making Autoscale a great feature!

35 Replies
Hmm ok, can you please send me a private message with your subscription ID, host pool name, and scaling plan name so that I can investigate why it is showing up in my query?
@Seneca_Friend
I received the same notice for a scaling plan deleted on April 19. I've sent you a PM with the details.

Thanks

@Seneca_Friend 

I received an alert today saying that I had Scaling plans in the wrong locations but that is not accurate. I changed all of the scaling plans to match the locations of the Host Pool. Why did i still receive this alert?

Microsoft Verified Best Answer
The list of subscriptions to send this email to was generated on April 19 and it has just gotten approved to be sent out today. Please disregard the message you received today if you have already unassigned and recreated your scaling plan. I apologize that you received it in error.
Ok, the Hostpool is in East-US, the RessourceGroup and the Hosts are in westeurope. You recommend for this case to build the scaling plan in East-US?
Hello @WVDExpert, no the recommendation is only about the scaling plan location and host pool location (it doesn't matter where your hosts or resource group are). Based on what you said, if your host pool is in East US, please make sure that the scaling plan assigned to it is also in East US. The scaling plan assigned to your East US host pool cannot be in any other region.

@Seneca_Friend If the region customer is using still not in the support list you provides (Japan west), should we wait until it is released to take any action?

Hi @jessie_peng, is your host pool in Japan west? The Japan regions for host pools are only just now in public preview. Once they are GA, scaling plans will be available there. Until then, please create a host pool in a GA region and assign a scaling plan in the same region to assign to it.
Hi Guys, Any updates on when scaling plans will be available down under (Australia East)?
Scaling plans are now available in UK South!
Scaling plans are now available in Australia East!
Thanks. Autoscale is a great feature. Do you know when this will be available for Australia SouthEast?
Hello @KS117, we don't have host pools available in Southeast Australia today. We are only supporting scaling plans in the regions that we have host pool objects available. I don't have an ETA for when it will become available there. Are you able to use Australia East? Where is your host pool located?

@Seneca_Friend My hostpool is in AU East but was just curious about AU Southeast for both hostpool and autoscale. 

@KS117 @Tom Hickling can provide information about AVD service metadata availability.

Yes we will have both services in AU south east - however I dont have a timeline to share at this point.