Amazing and unbelievable; HDD faster than SSD on WVD

Copper Contributor

Last week we did some low-level benchmarks using VDI Drones to see what the IO scores where for the different storage tiers; 

https://vdidrones.com/2021/02/27/a-closer-look-at-the-wvd-iops-values-february-2021-10-minute-read/

gourami_0-1615016893458.png

Unbelievable, how come the HDD scores better than the SSD standard? Can anyone explain?

4 Replies
Also what is the point in using vm’s with temporary storage, it makes sense to put page file there on a server that is on 24/7 but no gain on one may go on and off couple of time a day

I have figured this out years ago as MSP and all services supports almost called me crazy when I showed real numbers.

Basically, Standard SSD and HDD is the same thing. The only difference is that Standard SSD guarantee latency and better SLA. Same story for premium, if you do not give money you won't get better throughput, just better latency and fancy bursting features. The reason Standard is outperforming SSD is because this cluster had probably less people on it when you did your test.

Hum.. you got a point on extremely low iops use cases. That is why some new v4 series vms size that do not have temporary storage. The problem is when you really want to cut vms costs with vms size like B and A, these vm throuput are so slow that I can't imagine how bad it would be without temporary storage.

@fmartel The reason Standard is outperforming SSD is because this cluster had probably less people on it when you did your test.

That was exactly what we were thinking... No-one selects HDD....