AADDS is not accepting prefix more than 15 charcters.

Brass Contributor

I was deploying Windows Virtual Desktop last week. I came across any error while creating Azure Active Directory Domain Services. Please refer the attached files for clear understanding. My customer is having a domain which is more than 15 characters, I verified it as custom domain and made it primary. I also have an on Microsoft domain. So I tried creating Azure Active Directory Domain Services with both domains it throw up an error saying [ The prefix of the DNS domain name (for example, 'contoso100' in the DNS domain name 'contoso100.com') must contain 15 or fewer characters.] 

So we really cannot go ahead and create if the characters are more than 15? can Microsoft enable or add a feature to give more than 15 characters?

Anyone faced this issue?

2 Replies

@gadmin285 Unfortunately this is a NetBIOS limit which has been around for a long time, and probably will not change. 

The 15 character limit is documented here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory-domain-services/tutorial-create-instance "Domain prefix restrictions: You can't create a managed domain with a prefix longer than 15 characters. The prefix of your specified domain name (such as aaddscontoso in the aaddscontoso.com domain name) must contain 15 or fewer characters."

Thank you. I will keep this mind. @Neil McLoughlin