Can an azure blob with malware infect other blobs in the storage account?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I need to know whether it can be infected to other blobs or files if I accidently uploaded a malware into azure storage account or all the blobs are isolated from each other. If it can be infected, does it infect the blob/files only within the container or to the entire storage account?

4 Replies
I don't think so but still I would suggest to open a case with Microsoft and get that verified

@sashin2022 

Did you manage get any response on this from MS support ?

Storage accounts and its containers/blob folders can be malware entry point into the organization and a malware distributin poin affecting other blobs and connected organisation services. If you suspect a threat, content in cloud storage must be scanned for malware before its accessed. Use Malware scanning in Defender for Storage. Alernatively you could use  seggregated storage account with specific(least permission) to reduce risks or validate files before uploading. 

@sashin2022 

I thought yes and that's a same logic result of a PC working in an internal network being affected, that's why we need Microsoft Defender to protect