Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

OMS Agent for Linux Agent and multi homing

Brass Contributor

According to the official documentation, the OMS agent for linux does not support multi homing.

Log Analytics agent overview - Azure Monitor | Microsoft Docs

Yet I do see some logs/hints as the below.

INFO: Scripts/nxOMSPlugin.pyc(113):

OMSAgent is multi-homed and resource is updating workspace xyz

I would like to check if the agent I am checking on is multi homed though I could not find any other workspace reference in file paths.

Is this feasible now and if so where can I read further about this or is this work in progress and if so are these logs wrong.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Joseph-Abraham (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
It is correct that OMS Agent for Linux does not support multi-homing.

There is a new agent called Azure Monitor Agent, which will allow it, replace three other agents, and add more granular control over what telemetry is being collected, but it is currently in Preview and has several limitations. You could still try it out.

More info: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/azure-monitor-agent-overview

@David Pazdera Thank you, will check this option.

Unfortunately the AMA agent doesn't (yet) really support log file collection, at least in Linux VM's.
While there are instructions documented to setup a file log collection manually, using API and custom ARM templates, in the target custom logs tables there are missing columns, for example, the "Computer" column is not created, and as such you cannot match the log against whichever VM it originated from. I don't mind the manual setup, but this limitation with the columns was unexpected.
And this in 2022 now...
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Joseph-Abraham (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
It is correct that OMS Agent for Linux does not support multi-homing.

There is a new agent called Azure Monitor Agent, which will allow it, replace three other agents, and add more granular control over what telemetry is being collected, but it is currently in Preview and has several limitations. You could still try it out.

More info: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/azure-monitor-agent-overview

View solution in original post