Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

Managing lists

Copper Contributor

how can i manage a list on Sentinel

for instance- i have a list of known assets that hold hundreds+ assets and when the search runs i would like to search and check if there is a hit in the list

obviously using similar solution  such as above is not possible:

let List = datatable(Account:string, Domain:string)
["john", "johnsdomain.com", "greg", "gregsdomain.net", "larry", "Domain"];

the same goes for IOC's i have found in my enviroment and would like to search for a hit.

10 Replies

@omrip 

Option 1 - you can use IN or !IN to include or exclude

let List = datatable(Account:string, Domain:string)
["john", "johnsdomain.com",
 "Demo", "gregsdomain.net",
 "larry", "Domain"];
SigninLogs
| where Identity in (List)

Option 2 - you can use a JOIN as well 

let masterList = dynamic (['GB', 'US']);  // setup a master list of country codes
SigninLogs
| where TimeGenerated >= ago(1d)
| summarize perIdentityAuthCount=count() by Identity,  
            locationString= strcat(tostring(LocationDetails["countryOrRegion"]),
             "/", tostring(LocationDetails["state"]), "/",
             tostring(LocationDetails["city"]), ";" ,
             tostring(LocationDetails["geoCoordinates"])),
             countryString= strcat(tostring(LocationDetails["countryOrRegion"]))
// filter on masterList of country codes, exclude those on the list
| where countryString !in (masterList)
| summarize distinctAccountCount = count(), identityList=makeset(Identity), t = tostring(masterList)  by locationString
| extend identityList = iff(distinctAccountCount<10, identityList, "multiple (>10)")
| join kind= anti (
    SigninLogs
    | where TimeGenerated < ago(1d)
    | project   locationString= strcat(tostring(LocationDetails["countryOrRegion"]), "/", tostring(LocationDetails["state"]), "/", 
        tostring(LocationDetails["city"]), ";" , tostring(LocationDetails["geoCoordinates"]))
    | summarize priorCount = count() by locationString) on locationString
| where distinctAccountCount >= 1 // select threshold above which #new accounts from a new location is deemed suspicious

Option 3 - create a group/list with a query and compare it to another table 

// First create a list of Linux machines that startwith "aksnnnnnnn" 
let myLinuxGrp = toscalar(Heartbeat 
| where OSType == "Linux" and Computer startswith "aks" 
| summarize make_set(Computer));   
Syslog
| where TimeGenerated > ago(60m) 
| where myLinuxGrp contains Computer 
| project myLinuxGrp, Computer , SyslogMessage 

@CliveWatson 

thx

1. i do not think you understood my intention.

i have hundreds of endpoint and would like to create a large table/file from my known assets and to check on top of that.

beside managing it locally and and using the mantioned _json, is there a way to upload the file to the Azure and run on top of that?

2. what do i do in case i am managing a large amount of IOC's list , if i run a search on that list and i do not have it, i would like to ingest the new IOC i found to the list.

again, for neither of the cases i do not wish to mange them locally but in the Azure.

best response confirmed by OlegAnaniev (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @omrip 

I struggling to understand what you are asking here, so sorry to ask again? 

Are you trying to read from a file, if so see https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/industry-blog/en-gb/cross-industry/2019/08/13/azure-log-analytics-h...   If you are trying to create a file from Log Analytics, you can't do that, only read from a file is possible using externaldata operator as per my example.  You can build lists on the fly / at run time with a data table as shown.  

If it's a file you need to upload, perhaps on a schedule, you might need to use Logic Apps to control that workflow/process.  Then read from it with extrernaldata and parse the JSON (if it's JSON )

Hi, Did you get answer to your query? I also have 1000's of IOCs to be used against rules to check for a match. And if using BLOB storage isn't an option (want to read data from a file stored locally in the system) then what should we do?

Regards,
Mitesh Agrawal

Hi @CliveWatson,

I  have 1000's of IOCs to be used against rules to check for a match. And if using BLOB storage isn't an option (want to read data from a file stored locally in the system) then what should we do?

Regards,
Mitesh Agrawal

@MiteshAgrawal 

There are more guidance articles https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-sentinel/implementing-lookups-in-azure-sentinel-part-1-... and more to follow. Also have you considered a custom log?  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/data-sources-custom-logs

or reading data from a file using a Logic App?  

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the links. The first one is related to BLOB storage which we aren't using as of now.

I found 2nd one interesting and will definitely try creating a Custom log source to read files.

Regards,
Mitesh Agrawal

HI @CliveWatson 

can you please elaborate on the process which you have mentioned :

1. "If it's a file you need to upload, perhaps on a schedule, you might need to use Logic Apps to control that workflow/process.  Then read from it with external data and parse the JSON (if it's JSON )"

2. also what is the process of using a blob storage?

3. am i bind of using only a Blob storage?

4. the external file must be json format? 

@CliveWatson

i got it using  

externaldata (Type:string, Indicator:string , Campaign:string ) [

1. how to i search for a hit of the IOC's on all of the tables on sentinel.
2. how do i do that on specific tables

@omrip 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-sentinel/implementing-lookups-in-azure-sentinel-part-1-...

The above has examples like this (adapt the whitelist line to your own file)

let timeRange = 1d;
let whitelist = externaldata (UserPrincipalName: string) [h"https://..."] with (ignoreFirstRecord=true);
SigninLogs
| where TimeGenerated >= ago(timeRange)
| where UserPrincipalName !in~ (whitelist)

Using your data across all tables, would need a union or join e.g. (jusr replace the fake whitelist with your one). 

externaldata (Type:string, Indicator:string , Campaign:string ) [

let whitelist = dynamic(["fake IOC","another fakeIOC"]);
union withsource=TableName *
| where Indicator in (whitelist)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by OlegAnaniev (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @omrip 

I struggling to understand what you are asking here, so sorry to ask again? 

Are you trying to read from a file, if so see https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/industry-blog/en-gb/cross-industry/2019/08/13/azure-log-analytics-h...   If you are trying to create a file from Log Analytics, you can't do that, only read from a file is possible using externaldata operator as per my example.  You can build lists on the fly / at run time with a data table as shown.  

If it's a file you need to upload, perhaps on a schedule, you might need to use Logic Apps to control that workflow/process.  Then read from it with extrernaldata and parse the JSON (if it's JSON )

View solution in original post