Field Extraction for Cisco Meraki

Brass Contributor

Hi everyone!

I was having some issues with integrating Cisco Meraki for a customer. I did some google-fu and found an answer here. I now have an rsyslogd setup going to a unique meraki.log and that going into a custom table. We have about 3 other firewall types going into the "syslog" table, so I figured this may help keep things organised, anyway.

Using the SophosXGFirewall function as a template I started to make a new Function Table for Cisco Meraki. It's working for 99% of the things, except for some fields which are encased in single-ticks (apostrophe, ') -- these are all for the Wireless Access Point logs

// EXAMPLE LOGS
// Sep 24 09:21:00 172.16.X.Y  1600935669.652242117 Firewall02 flows allow src=172.16.A.B dst=34.Q.R.S mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:YY protocol=tcp sport=58553 dport=8383
// Sep 24 08:59:53 172.16.X.Y  1600934403.287827233 Firewall01 urls src=172.16.A.B:54234 dst=34.Q.R.S:8383 mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:EE request: UNKNOWN https://WEBSITE-A
// Sep 24 09:00:18 172.16.Z.Y  1600934428.299732488 Firewall02 events type=wpa_auth radio='1' vap='4' client_mac='YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:AA' client_ip='172.16.P.P' aid='1016793020'
// Sep 24 09:44:08 172.16.X.Y  1600937057.757341105 Firewall02 urls src=172.16.Z.Y:54405 dst=34.Q.R.S:80 mac=AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:CC agent='SXL/3.1' request: GET http://WEBSITE-B
Meraki_CL
| extend Meraki_IP = extract(@'\S+\s+\d+\s+\S+\s+(\S+)', 1, RawData),
Device_Name = extract(@'\S+\s+\d+\s+\S+\s+\S+\s+\S+\s+(\S+)', 1, RawData),
Log_Type = extract(@'\S+\s+\d+\s+\S+\s+\S+\s+\S+\s+\S+\s+(\S+)', 1, RawData),
Action = extract(@'\S+\s+\d+\s+\S+\s+\S+\s+\S+\s+\S+\s+flows\s+(\S+)', 1, RawData),
Src_IP = extract(@'src=\"?([\w\.]+)\"?', 1, RawData),
Client_IP = extract(@'client_ip=([\w\.]+)', 1, RawData),
Client_MAC = extract(@'client_mac=([\w\:]+)', 1, RawData),
Src_MAC = extract(@'mac=\"?([\w\:]+)\"?', 1, RawData),
Dst_IP = extract(@'dst=\"?([\w\.]+)\"?', 1, RawData),
Protocol = extract(@'protocol=\"?(\w+)\"?', 1, RawData),
Src_Port = extract(@'sport=\"?(\d+)\"?', 1, RawData),
Dst_Port = extract(@'dport=\"?(\d+)\"?', 1, RawData),
Event_Type = extract(@'type=\"?(\S+)\"?', 1, RawData),
User_Agent = extract(@'agent=(.*[^request])request', 1, RawData),
URL = extract(@'request: \S+\s+(.*)',1, RawData)

OK, simple enough. The problem is the regex and something with the extract() function. Some of the items are encased in "\'" and not "\""  -- when I change the regex for Client_IP and Client_MAC to extract(@'client_mac=\'([w\:])\'', 1, RawData) it breaks completely. Is this a bug of some sort or is there some syntactical wizardry I'm missing?

Thanks!

4 Replies

So I did a quick fix to the regex to work around this, but I'm still worried that in the future I may need to anchor something off a single apostrophe, and I won't be able to:

Client_IP = extract(@'client_ip=\S([\w\.]+)\S', 1, RawData),
Client_MAC = extract(@'client_mac=\S([\w\:]+)\S', 1, RawData),

I just reviewed this and have a need to review how to get Cisco Meraki implemented into Azure Sentinel. I do not have any logs from a Meraki device to run this against but wanted to confirm if you got this worked as a saved function for parsing?

In my research, there are others that said using SYSLOG-NG over RSYSLOG was a better option and wasn't sure if you have anything to mention about that?

Thank you

I have no preference between rsyslog vs syslogng. All the customers I've worked with recently have had Linux distributions where rsyslog was the default so we went along with that.

As far as a saved function goes, this is what I used for 2 or 3 different customers after writing it for the first customer. Note that since I originally did this work there seems to be more work completed by the MSFT team for Meraki (at least in terms of workbooks.) There may be work on this which is more recent.

I did not think so with rsyslog or syslog-ng and thank you for the update.  From what I was able to see today, here are the options that are available when looking into logs:

CiscoMeraki -- does not display any logs

CiscoMerakiFIW -- does display logs

So it would appear you are correct that MSFT team has made some changes with regards to this data connector, which is still in preview.

When I tried your query about, it did not accept RawData.  I do appreciate that you found a way to do this before the changes did get made.

Thank you