Log Analytics: Running log query delivers no results

Copper Contributor

I created a Log Analytics Workspace. Also I connected a linux vm and enabled the performance counters. 

But when I run a log query to retrieve performance logs I receive no data. Please take a look on the screenhots below.

No my question is why I receive no data? Is something else missing, for example further config?

Thank you in advance.

001_vm-is-connected.png002_performance-counters-configured.png003_logs-query-no-result.png

4 Replies

@cloudexplorer Does a simple Heartbeat query return any results ?

If so, then try adding in the computer:

Heartbeat

| where Computer =~ 'lm-01'    

(It think that's your VM name from what I can see)

@JK_UK 

Thank you for your answer. I tried that already but the same behavior occurs => no result.

Also I would not like to restrict the query to a certain machine. 

As you can see in the screenshot below it works for heartbeat without to specify a certain machine.004_heartbeat-logs-query-ok.png

@cloudexplorer  Looking at your screen pic again, I don't think you have actually added the counters, you need to click add the performance counters, it should look something like this:

JK_UK_0-1597321922471.png

@JK_UK 

Again many thanks for your support. I checked the advanced settings where performance params being set. You have write they were cheked but added. But I think that the issue was that the vm was down and I don't know why. Anyway I can get the performance logs. I deactivated the settings for the performance counters to see whether I will still get a result or not as I remember that performance logs will be automatically collected. 

Again many thanks and have a nice day.