SOLVED

IIS Logs upload stopped working for one machine

Copper Contributor

We have IIS Log Uploads configured (via Log Analytics Workspace > Agents Configuration > IIS Logs) and has been working fine for months. I just noticed that around the IIS Log upload for one of the three machines stopped working around 5th Feb 2021. It's continuing to work fine for the others. Other logs, e.g. Event and Perf, are still uploading fine. 

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this? 

Events like this are in the event log for the machine that fails to upload: 

A module of type "Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Modules.CloudFileUpload.CloudFileUploadWriteAction" reported an exception Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Modules.CloudFileUpload.FileUploadException: Unable to get blob container for iislog from https://[SOME_GUID].ods.opinsights.azure.com/ContainerService.svc. Will keep trying according to the specified policy. ---> System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: The request was canceled.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult, TransportContext& context)
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Modules.CloudFileUpload.CloudFileUploadWriteAction.GetRequestStreamCallback(IAsyncResult asynchronousResult)
--- End of inner exception stack trace --- which was running as part of rule "Microsoft.IntelligencePacks.IISLogUpload.LogUpload" running for instance "" with id:"[SOME_GUID]" in management group "AOI-[SOME_GUID]".

and 

A module of type "Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Modules.CloudFileUpload.CloudFileUploadWriteAction" reported an exception Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Modules.CloudFileUpload.FileUploadException: Unable to upload file W3SVC2-u_ex21020515.log.iislog to https://advisor[A_LONG_NUMBER] .blob.core.windows.net/iislogblob/v0/tenant=[SOME_GUID]/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001/AOI-[SOME_GUID]/[SOME_GUID]/W3SVC2/u_ex21020515.log. Will keep trying according to the specified policy. ---> System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: A connection that was expected to be kept alive was closed by the server. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndReceive(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.Security._SslStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.TlsStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.Connection.ReadCallback(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Modules.CloudFileUpload.CloudBlockBlobLite.EndUploadFromStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Modules.CloudFileUpload.CloudFileUploadWriteAction.UploadFromStreamAsyncCallback(IAsyncResult result)
--- End of inner exception stack trace --- which was running as part of rule "Microsoft.IntelligencePacks.IISLogUpload.LogUpload" running for instance "" with id:"{[SOME_GUID]}" in management group "AOI-[SOME_GUID]".

thanks,

Rory

1 Reply
best response confirmed by roryk (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I resolved the issue by uninstalling the agent and reinstalling the latest version. I had quite an old version 8.x. In order to install the latest I had to apply a registry change to force .NETFramwork to SchUseStrongCrypto=1.

Now it's uploading ... but only files from now onwards :( So if anyone has a suggestion on how to upload old files I'd love to hear it!

Rory
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by roryk (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I resolved the issue by uninstalling the agent and reinstalling the latest version. I had quite an old version 8.x. In order to install the latest I had to apply a registry change to force .NETFramwork to SchUseStrongCrypto=1.

Now it's uploading ... but only files from now onwards :( So if anyone has a suggestion on how to upload old files I'd love to hear it!

Rory

View solution in original post