How to create from Logs a chart in Metrics?

Copper Contributor

Hello,
I have got in my Azure resource group (tenant - subscription) one Log Analytics Workspace.

Log Analytics Workspace consume data (metrics) from my on-premise virtual machine by Log Analytics Agent.

I see data (metrics) at Logs, that is ok.

But when I want to see data (metrics) at Azure Monitor - Metrics, I do not see any.

Respectively I see empty chart with metrics for example: Avg. Disc sec/Read but
at Logs I have many records from metric Avg. Disc sec/Read.

Can you advice me what I will must do to display data from Logs at Metrics charts?

Thank you in advance for your reply

Lada Cernik

2 Replies

@lacoi 

Its a little hard to see (maybe my eyesight) from your 5th picture, but its looks like you are trying to look at the metrics of the workspace rather than the resource (Virtual Machine).  Swap the namespace to the metric you want to see.

Annotation 2020-07-13 095347.jpg

If you look in the Overview: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/overview

Logs (where you have the PERF table are in "logs" workspace (one you setup and name), but Metrics are in another workspace (which you don't have to worry about...its provided top customers); so you can just look for the resource.  

Hi, @CliveWatson.

I think that my problem is

that I collect data only from Windows agent (Log analytics agent at on-promise OS Windows).

I do not collect data from other resources (like Azure VM and so on).

I find out the source

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/data-platform#compare-azure-monitor-me... where is: 

Data sources include

MetricsPlatform metrics collected from Azure resources. Applications monitored by Application Insights. Custom defined by application or API.

LogsApplication and resource logs. Monitoring solutions. Agents and VM extensions.
Application requests and exceptions. Azure Security Center. Data Collector API.

Thank you for reply.