OMS, Monitor, etc.

Copper Contributor

So I am a bit lost as to how to onboard solutions, what is monitor, what is OMS, are they the same?  It seems that Microsoft changes links and URLs and solutions before I can even get my head wrapped around one solution.  

1 Reply

@ApexAvailability 

I hope this helps, explain the change from OMS to Azure Monitor 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/terminology

August 2018 - Consolidation of monitoring services into Azure Monitor

Log Analytics and Application Insights have been consolidated into Azure Monitor to provide a single integrated experience for monitoring Azure resources and hybrid environments. No functionality has been removed from these services, and users can perform the same scenarios that they've always completed with no loss or compromise of any features.

Documentation for each of these services has been consolidated into a single set of content for Azure Monitor. This will assist the reader in finding all of the content for a particular monitoring scenario in a single location as opposed to having to reference multiple sets of content. As the consolidated service evolves, the content will become more integrated.

Other features that were considered part of Log Analytics such as agents and views have also been repositioned as features of Azure Monitor. Their functionality hasn't changed other than potential improvements to their experience in the Azure portal.

April 2018 - Retirement of Operations Management Suite brand

Operations Management Suite (OMS) was a bundling of the following Azure management services for licensing purposes:

• Application Insights
  • Azure Automation
  • Azure Backup
  • Log Analytics
  • Site Recovery

New pricing has been introduced for these services, and the OMS bundling is no longer available for new customers. None of the services that were part of OMS have changed, except for the consolidation into Azure Monitor described above.