Kusto Explorer broken for Log Analytics

Iron Contributor

Recently, and up until this week, I've been utilizing Kusto Explorer instead of the sorely lacking web interface for Log Analytics. However, now I'm unable to connect to my Log Analytics workspaces using the tool: "An error occurred while sending the request."

I've been using this method--which allows me to use Azure Data Explorer Web UI to query (also superior to the out of the box Log Analytics experience)--to connect Kusto Explorer.

Is anyone else having success?

5 Replies

Hi @Scott Allison 

Just curious, why is ADX superior?  What's lacking from the native tool - this will be good feedback to the UI team?

Thanks Clive

@CliveWatson Oh, I've already been in feedback sessions and interviews with multiple PMs and others. :) 

But to answer your question:

ADE (web ui):

• No Azure Blades to get in the way
  • I can save a list of all the workspaces I'm in for easy switching between them
  • PERFORMANCE. The blade version is slow,
  • The results pane experience is better
  • I can get more than 10,000 rows in a result!!!

Kusto.Explorer:

• No Azure Blades to get in the way
  • I can save a list of all the workspaces I'm in for easy switching between them.
  • PERFORMANCE. The blade version is slow,
  • The results pane experience is better
  • I can get more than 10,000 rows in a result!!!
  • Saving queries to files so I can easily access them--or share them. 
  • Not a web browser.
  • Persistent even if I put my machine to sleep. Browsers almost always time out or session goes away.

I'm sure I'm missing other reasons, but those are the main ones. I think the standard experience is fine for people new to the platform, but for someone like me who lives in KQL, it's limiting.

@CliveWatson 

FYI--The latest Kusto.Explorer build appears to have fixed the issue. 

@Scott Allison 10 000 rows is API limit. I doubt it will be resolved even with Kusto Explorer.

@Stanislav Zhelyazkov Actually, I only really run into size limitations, not row limitations: kexplorer.pngkexplorer2.png