Guidance for complex organizations setting up workspaces

Copper Contributor

Is there a solid resource that gives guidance for how complex organizations should think about workspace boundaries in Azure Monitor?

My organization has a blend of product team owned infrastructure and shared infrastructure running in CSP subscriptions.  

One of the challenges I have with Monitor is keeping up with the change and folding those changes into the DevOps changes we are making in our organization.  

For example, just months ago, it felt like to me that our app teams would own their monitoring experience and another team that owned shared infrastructure would own their own experience.  Now with the changes to allowing the merging of Application Insights and Log Analytics to the same workspace it opens up a whole new set of possibilities.  

1 Reply

@stevecatmull Here is a good resource to start planning your workspace deployment strategy: http://aka.ms/logsdesign

The idea is to use the minimum needed no. of workspaces which can satisfy your organization's security/compliance/geographic requirements. As an app team, you can always have resource centric access to your logs, while the central team might end up having full workspace-centric access.

With the merger of App Insights logs into a single LA workspace, you still own your monitoring experience, just your entire org can now consolidate to a common workspace for better correlations & maintenance.