Getting Windows Firewall Log into LA.

Iron Contributor

Hello - how do i get the C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Firewall\pfirewall.log into my Log Analytics, and which Table will it be ingested in?

I see a WindowsFirewall table, but that is empty.

WindowsFirewall
| limit 50

Over in LA advanced settings i see the option to add a custom log, which i did, but still no data.

Thoughts? 

11 Replies

@AndrewX 

Did you get a solution?   the Custom log would be <the name you specified>_CL   

Or you can use the MMA on the computer with the Firewall and set to collect that EventLog in Log Analytics  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/data-sources-windows-events

Annotation 2019-08-05 104848.jpg

Hi @CliveWatson - I was able to receive firewall connection logging by enabling the connector in Sentinel, this lit up the FirewallLog table in Log Analytics.  I am pretty sure the Windows Firewall Log you selected that is visible in event viewer is only for firewall administrative, changes, audit etc, but it does not list client connectivity.

@AndrewX 

I just added in Sentinel then going into Log Analytics I can see Schema\Active\Windows Firewall is now there too. No data is there, so I'm assuming the Microsoft Monitoring Agent will automatically pick up the Windows Firewall Log %systemroot%\system32\LogFiles\Firewall\  if its enabled? I will most likely enable this in a WF Logging on a VM and see if the data starts to show up. Or is there more to configure so the MMA can find this log?

Tested enabling logging in the WF for all 3 profiles and still not seeing any data in Log Analytics. I also tried setting up a custom log, but that creates a new Schema\Active\Custom area, which is different than what Azure Sentinel did by adding the Windows Firewall. I'll wait a few hours, but in the setup it only needs the MMA installed, nothing about needing to enable FW logging or anything like that.

Yes, you now simply need to customise the Windows firewall log logging properties and enable successful and dropped connections.
So its all working now?

@AndrewX 

NOT WORKING =/

Schema\Active\WindowsFirewall

WindowsFirewall
| limit 50

Custom log IS WORKING =)
Schema\Active\Custom Logs
pfirewall_CL
| limit 50
Weird, i definitely have data in the WindowsFirewall table in Log Analytics, and i had to do two things;

1. Enable connection logging in the Windows Firewall
2. Enable the Windows Firewall connector in Sentinel
Yes it is.

@AndrewX wrote:
Weird, i definitely have data in the WindowsFirewall table in Log Analytics, and i had to do two things;

1. Enable connection logging in the Windows Firewall
2. Enable the Windows Firewall connector in Sentinel

So we have the same setup. The reason I did a custom log so I know that the WF Log is being captured. I'm going to remove the custom log and see disable/re-enable both #1 & #2 give the VM a reboot and see if it starts working. If not well being a preview product at the moment I might check with support.